1980 Barkas B1000

Barkas item created by Bill Overbaugh, Jul 5, 2015

1. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

Well, according to my research, bark as only had 3 engines available over the years. The original B1000 had the 45 horse 3 cyl 2 stroke also found in wartburgs, the B1000/1 had the Volkswagen licensed 1.3L four stroke, and the Belgian imports had the 1.8L ford diesel. The 1.1l polo engine was never put in them. There were just over 175,000 B1000s built and just under 2000 B1000/1s. No numbers are available for the diesels at this time. Being that yours is a B1000, it is only logical that there has been a transplant done. It should have the 2 stroke engine. But hey, I am glad it is running and that you are happy with it.
  2. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Just one question for TNT, did you get your research on Wikipedia or some reliable source?
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

It is my understanding that IFA was building the motors for VW in return for western currency and they finally decided to put the engines in their own vehicles as well. I'm pretty sure IFA built the engines, and it may have been at the Barkas facility I'm not sure. And it would be 1.3 unless somebody changed it but why would they do that.
  4. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Forum Donor

The seller told me before I bought the truck that the guy he bought it from in Poland swapped the engine when he restored it. He said it was a 1.6L VW engine. But this engine is clearly marked IFA and looks just like the 1.1L on the Trabant 1.1. I took a photo of the engine serial. I'll post that tomorrow.

Bountyflyer, I may already have the parts I need. I have a spare synchroring/selector ring and I found a German site with the fork on it. if I'm pulling the transmission I will also source some new seals. But I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your offer.
  5. Bountyflyer

First of all your Barkas is a very good pace. I think either way your engine will work with the transmission. Doesn't matter how big is the engine, I still would change the timing belt. The IFA covers probably will fit on the VW engine. It should have a large number on the side of the block stating 1.1 1.3 or 1.6. Also the engine number usually start with the size of the engine.

I couldn't miss that you've wrote "the Polish guy said that he restored it". In my book the word "restored" means somrwething else. Having different engine, non original color and updated bed without any wood makes a nice car but most deffentely can't considered restored. (Sorry I'm also an old car guy)
  6. Bountyflyer

Guys, I just talked to a friend of mine in Hungary. He said that if the engine original, it should be a 1.3L engine. If it's original and not a conversion then you got something what not that many collectors have! He also said that if it's not original and you want to make it go faster you can change it to a 1.6L injected engine in it with no problems. I'm not sure if the tranny will take the increased horses or not thru...

I really like the way your engine fits in the engine bay. I've seen some conversions before, but this looks pretty good.

I still not sure about the bed part. It looks factory but still not sure if it is or not. Do you see any indications that it was installed by someone?

Make sure that you grease the front vertical spindles. Not sure if thats the correct name from them. They allow the wheel to turn left or right. There is a bearing in them and if it gets dry it will eat up everything around it. If it's dry, then it will make the steering jump from one side to the other when you drive thru a bump. I have the same problem right now. I just got a puller to pull the spindle bushings out for cleaning.

I have a shop manual if you need anything out of that let me know, and I'll translate the revalent part for you.
  7. Bill Overbaugh

Thanks bounty flyer for all the tips and the support.
    I found a spare selector ring in my box of parts, and I ordered a new shift fork from projekt601.de. They suggested it may be the freewheel causing it to pop out of fourth, so I grabbed some freewheel parts too.
    I got some numbers off the engine. Unfortunately I can't get my eyes down to the block so these are on the head...
    On the drivers side 82221 001
    image.jpg

and a round stamp which must be the date. I THINK if I am reading this correctly, it says June 8 1991
    image.jpg
  8. Bill Overbaugh

On the pass side I found these
    030103373B TL-023 MW4 AW3
    image.jpg
  9. Wartburg353W

I think you're better off with the original drivetrain anyway. Especially if you can fix the transaxle. Kinda crappy of the seller about that.
  10. Bountyflyer

Thats right!! Now I remeber! My barkas does the same thing with the freewheeler selected. I moved the lever and now has engine brake on, and it doesn't throe the 4th out anymore! With the 4 stroke engine you won't need that anyway. Try to change it over, it might gonna fix the problem!
  11. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Love the truck!

That gear shifter is awkward looking though!

We had a 1984 Chevy full size van at a job I used to work at which apparently came from the factory with a 3 speed column shifter that someone had converted to a floor shifter. The shifter was about 3 feet long and someone had painted "Hurst" on it using pink finger nail polish! The shifter wasn't exactly adjacent to the seat but more less 6" toward the rear. So you had to kind of reach back to shift. It was awkward to drive but kind of a novelty to drive.

Attached Files:

12. Bill Overbaugh

It does look awkward but it's surprisingly natural.

If I flipped that lever to engage or disengage the freewheel while going down the road could I have caused this problem? Or is this the accumulation of many years of abuse on the tranny?
  13. Bountyflyer

You not supposed to move this lever while moving. Only with the engine off tranny in nutural
  14. Wartburg353W

So it's either a 1980 model updated to a 1990 motor or a 1990 backdated to a 1980 model. Hmmm . . .
  15. Bountyflyer

I think it's probably a last year 91 model but it doesn't really matter. It's probably the best working and looking Barkas in the country. (Out of 4) and out of 5 once I have mine landed next week...
  16. Bill Overbaugh

Wow high praise thanks!
    I still believe it's a 1980 with a new engine. That's at least what the seller told me it was.
  17. Bountyflyer

Show me some picture of the dash and instrument panel and I can tell you. There were 4 different versions but still, you could interchange the dash as well, but not the steering wheel.

I know a guy who makes new hubcaps for it, but I have to come up with a way to secure it to the new rims. I'm thinking cutting an ild hubcap open and machining three little bumps like some old Mercedes have. Then drill three holes and secure the three little mushroom looking bumps with thru bolts...

Finding 16 old fashon rims with the hubcap holder ring probably impossible. (I need hubcaps for 16 Barkas wheels)

The Trabant was easier...
  18. Wartburg353W

I'm inclined to believe it's an older model with newer engine too, because the doors have the chrome door handles. That's not something so easily retrofitted. BUT that body tag looks to be a replacement so someone did go to some effort . . .
  19. Bill Overbaugh

I suppose it is conceivable if he bought a 1991 Barkas, and tried to import it, then discovered that it had to be 25 years old, and simply changed the data plate. And if he had done that, he wouldn't want to tell a potential new buyer that information. But it don't think that's what happened. I think he did what he said, dropped a 1.3L Wartburg engine into a 1980 truck. He just got it mixed up and called it a VW engine, because that's kind of what it is anyway.

Here are some photos of the damage
    image.jpg
    Here you can see the synchro ring (silver with two oil holes in it). The lip on the left is worn away almost to nothing. The lip on the right is pretty substantial.

image.jpg
    And here are the shift forks. The one in the front is the one for 3rd and 4th. You can see the pads are so worn they're notched. You can also see a groove worn in the radius of the fork.

Current plan is to weld up the shift fork, machine it back, enjoy the truck until winter. Even if the synchro ring isn't repaired, fixing the fork has got to help. In the meantime I'll source New parts (already ordered a fork, just need a synchro ring) and have it shipped over. The gears all look great in this transmission so I just need to find one with a good synchro ring and shift fork.

I wonder, does anyone know if these had nylon pads on the shift forks originally? I might try to install some. That will likely help it engage, take up some sloppiness and quiet down the shifting. Of course also prevent it from damaging itself too much in the future.
  20. Bountyflyer

FYI the " chrome " doorhandles are polished aluminum and easily interchangeble with the fiberglass ones. The alu handles supposed to have white rubber under them. They are exactly the same as Trabant Wartburg or Barkas. They got phased out at 82.