1. rswift

rswift Puttering Along

I bought this car a couple of years ago, as a summer project. I worked in Berlin for a while, and had always fancied a Trabbie.

I bought the car needing some welding to the floors, and a bit of TLC.

I did all of the welding. It now has solid floors.

I then got the engine running, which it did for about 10 minutes before seizing ! I now think that this engine had previously been run without any oil, or at least an incorrect mixture.

So, I removed the engine (it really was 4 bolts as I was told), and began to recondition the engine. I have bought new crankshaft, all bearings, rotary valves, barrels, pistons etc and rebuilt the engine (heads still off for inspection).

I have to say a big thank you to this forum for the help in removing and getting as far as I have with the engine (especially Keri), but this is as far as it has got, and as of yet I haven't found much time to carry on. (running my own business, and a 2 year old child is not a winning combination for a hobby of car restoration). I've had it for 2 years now, and not much has happened in the past 18 months !

So, basically a solid car, a rebuilt engine that needs fitting. The car has been standing, so brakes a re now a bit sticky etc. It's originally from Hungary, never UK registered, but has all of the papers to do this (it's very straightforward once it has an MOT).

Make me a sensible offer, over £600. I really don't want to break the car for spares, but I see that as the ultimate fate if no-one is interested. I'm not in a rush, and would love to see it to a new home

The car is in Bedfordshire, quite close to M1 Jct12, you are welcome to come and look, or give me a call, send me an email or message for a chat. Happy to try and help with transportation.
  2. rswift

rswift Puttering Along

3. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

That's a shame mate, I know from experience how hard it is to find the time though!

If I was closer, I'd be round like a shot, I'd love to do another one up, get some spares together etc... I don't suppose you'd be keen to post the engine up to me would you? I'm in Moray, Scotland AB37. It's a big faff I know, so you'll not offend me if not!

Anyway, let me know either way, and good luck with the sale this time around, be nice if someone stepped in at the last minute and saved her!

Cheers now, Ron.
  4. rswift

rswift Puttering Along

Hi Ron,

Thanks.....I'm not adverse to checking the carriage costs to Moray.....you're right it's a long way from me !.....I'd still like to get rid of her as a whole, but I'll need to weigh the engine anyway, I'll check the costs ! (If I could do it as hand luggage, I could pop up to Aberdeen n Easyjet, have a pint with you and come home on the same day) !
    Ron likes this.
  5. Ron

Nice idea that! I appreciate your looking into it, don't get me wrong, it is a shame to separate the car, and honestly if I was closer I'd be after the whole thing! Keep me posted and thanks again.
  6. rswift

rswift Puttering Along

You're right, I've just been poking around now, it's quite solid....seems a shame to break !
    Keri likes this.
  7. rswift

rswift Puttering Along

Well, I am delighted to say that I have agreed a sale on the car, as is to a very nice couple (Barkas owners) .. somewhere on this forum, who are going to restore the car.

I probably would have lost less money by breaking it, but I'm much happier with this outcome. Next time I'll buy one needing less work !
    Keri and Ron like this.
  8. Ron

Well done that man, hopefully we'll see it on here again soon!
    Keri likes this.