1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

This is NOT my car, a auction that i found ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...8524&item=261360938524&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Here is your chance to own a piece of Cold War history. Trabants were produced in East Germany, DDR, from 1957 through 1991. This is the people's car, much like West Germany's VW, that East Germans drove through the Berlin Wall after the collapse of communism on November 9, 1989. Trabants were made of Duroplast, which is a cotton based resin compound similar to fiberglass that is weather resistant, very strong and rust proof built on a steel pan, much like the Beetle. It has an aluminum 26 hp 600cc aircooled 2 cylinder 2 stroke engine mounted to a 4 speed, with reverse, front wheel drive transaxle. Trabis are very dependable and reliable. There are no pumps, i.e. fuel, water or oil to maintain in any Trabants. They are fun to drive, get good mileage @ 35mpg +, handle extremely well, are excellent in snow and weigh only 1350lbs. They will cruise at 60mph all day and can do 70mph+ for short stretches.

This Trabi has solid floor pans and runs and drives great. It has the original drive train, new battery, original 12 volt electrical system (so bulbs and battery are available anywhere) original electronic ignition (greatly increases reliability, starting ease, fuel economy), low back seats, fuel consumption meter aka magic mouse (you can get 50mpg correctly using this gauge with an electronic ignition Trabi), sport wheel, factory tow hitch, spare tire etc. It has 50/1 oil/gas ratio engine which practically eliminates exhaust smoke after warm up. Trabant P601's may look basically the same after 1964 but German engineers made constant subtle improvements year after year adding up to a relatively civilized Trabi in the later production years. Just repainted last week, You can't stop for gas without people walking up asking about it. The smiles and stories are endless. Maryland title is in my name. Tag and drive it today. Great investment that will only increase in value.

Although Trabants are rare in the US, we have a growing national club, TrabantUSA, where membership is free and we support the preservation of these unique vehicles. Parts are inexpensive and readily available, i.e. LDM Tuning and Reich Tuning etc. Free technical support is also available through our Trabant Yahoo group. Join us at our 8th Annual DC Rally, Parade of Trabants VIII, sponsored by the International Spy Museum in Washington DC on November 8th, 2014 which will be the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's free and a must for any Trabant enthusiast. We are striving to have 25 Trabants there for the occasion, The museum rewards every Trabi in attendance with a trophy, free lunch, money for gas and hotel and a bunch of comradery. What other car club does that? Check out some of our "Parade of Trabants" videos on youtube.

email or call 443-847-0202 ask for Mike. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. Thanks for looking.

key words: VW Beetle, Morris Minor, Mini Cooper, 2CV. 4CV, Austin, Anglia, Triumph, MG, Fiat, microcar, micro car, minicar, mini car, small car, fun car, sports car, sportscar, subcompact, economy car.
  2. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Noticed it was repainted as the auction was listed... You can't do a sufficient paint job in that amount of time (prep, sand, mask, paint), which was obviously the case in the one I looked at. PM me if you want to know anymore, or look here on the forum.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. jz601

jz601 Newbie

thought he was the go to guy here in the usa?
  4. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Not at all..He has a lot of cars...I got burned when he lied to me and I drove from Michigan (search, a thread here) to pick it up, only to find the photos were taken years ago (just after paint) and the entire rear panel where the license mounts was rusted through. On top of that, it had been painted (not well) with a brush. I sent out a mass email to trabant owners email club detailing it...Of the few members that was sent to, I got 5+ responses saying "you arent the only one" with interesting stories. I advise anyone to stay away....But that's just me.
  5. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

sounds like this dude has a little history here on the board .... =/
    Aaron likes this.
  6. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I wouldn't say he is the "go-to-guy" in the USA, he brings in a lot of cars over so by default that may make people assume that.

I have to stay as unbiased as I can on this, but I have heard more stories similar to @Aaron's than I have in the positive light. He is on the board, but there have been a lot of bad experiences from my understanding.

With any car you purchase online, do your due diligence, go look at it or have someone you know and/or trust go look at it and make a decision from there. Most Trabant owners tend to be very helpful with one another, so if there is someone in the area there is a car you're interested in, reach out to them and see if they would mind going to look at it for you.
    Wartburg353W and Aaron like this.
  7. Phil Tracy

Phil Tracy Puttering Along

Here's another opinion. I am actively trying to find a car to buy and contacted him via his Craigslist ad several times and he never responded.

He had listed the same car the gentlemen above are speaking about (Blue, misleading older pictures, brush painted) for $1,000, then when he got no takers or whatever had an eBay auction where it didn't reach $3,500. I offered him a bid through eBay and he never replied to that as well.

It worked out for me, I found the thread where Aaron drove from Michigan for it and passed. I am glad he didn't sell it to me afterall.
  8. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I guess I have to say, I feel a bit bad for the people who buy the cars that everyone else here passes on. The reason being, aside from getting a car that may be misrepresented, they will eventually make their way to the forums and then have to read about the car they bought....Oh well, it is what it is I guess. Great for others to share feedback to help in these types of situations.