1. czechnology

czechnology Smoking Along

Hello guys,

my name is Joe, and I am from the Czech republic. (yes - the former eastern block :))

I am an owner of a 1989 Trabant 601 S De Luxe in quite nice original condition. Only the engine was kinda noisy, so I replaced with a new one. The car runs nice and is fun to drive.

Here are a few pics ...

I am looking forward to your comments or questions:) Parts are quite plentiful around here, so if you guys need something weird and hard to find, let me know, I will look around.

Happy New year to anyone!

1358966508.JPG
    1372314361.JPG

As you can see I used to play with Trabis since I was a baby, so my passion is quite predictable :)

1357243266.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    EasternBloc, vdubbin and Justin like this.
  2. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

Welcome from Italy!
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Welcome, and for one thing I'm sure most guys on here would like to get a hold of that toy Trabi you had as a baby!
  4. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Very nice little Trabi! Welcome to the boards! Glad that you found us....You're car looks fantastic!`
  5. czechnology

Thank you guys! Wartburg353W: That toy Trabi is long time gone.. :( It´s still obtainable, though - but these old toys are now considered as a colllector´s item, so in a good contition it might get somewhat pricey...
  6. czechnology

Umm, here´s something I want to show you: This is an original set of nuts that was produced by a Czechoslovakian factory in the 80´s... :)
    This is the only thing that has been left in our home after our Trabant that I used to ride in when I was a kid. It was common that that some accessories were made locally. Even though the countries were right next to each other and were both under the iron courtain, it was not easy to travel, and original spare parts were hard to find. My parents got rid of the Trabant in 1983 because of rust issues. (we used to have a 1971 601 Pastellweiß) I will look around for a picture. Then we used to have a Škoda 105S. My father always says that the Trabi was the most dependable car he ever had :)

1357242020.JPG
    1357242037.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    vdubbin and Wartburg353W like this.
  7. czechnology

This is also interesting... Quite a while ago I bought a Czech repair manual for Trabis via an internet ad. To my surprise, inside of this book was this "Quality Certificate" with signatures of the Zwickauers who actually put hands on this vehicle. I was curious and did some research, and according to the serial body number it appears to belong to a 1967
    P 601 Kombi built between June-August 1967.

Attached Files:

vdubbin and Justin like this.
  8. Justin

Wow, that is a pretty amazing find in your book. You've had some great things you've shared! Keep them coming!
  9. czechnology

Thanks - I find this little community to be very nice and friendly... Besides I keep practicing my English! :cool:
    Justin likes this.
  10. Justin

Glad to hear it. Your English is excellent by the way, grammar, punctuation, really everything is better than most native English speakers I know. :)
  11. czechnology

Today was a lucky day for me! I was given a present from a good friend of mine. The vintage trabi toy I used to have when I was a little baby. I did some research and found that it was produced by the VEB Anker-Mechanik Eisfeld company between 1975-80. Really hapy to have one!

trabant.jpg

Here is one on ebay currently for sale, but really expensive, and incomplete.. :-/
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-TRABANT...45338?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item29ef32d5fa
    vdubbin, Wartburg353W and Justin like this.
  12. Justin

13. czechnology

Hello guys, I was not here for a while, but I am back! :) This weekend I obtained a DDR camper - Qek 400, a new winter project for me! :) It´s in decent condition, but needs some TLC. Really happy about it!

1415130534.JPG
    1415131011.JPG
    1415130977.JPG
    1415130898.JPG
    turbofiat124, frogbros, Keri and 2 others like this.
  14. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

That caravan is fantastic!
  15. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

welcome to the board .... and nice camper
  16. Justin

x2....That is an AWESOME camper!
  17. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Yep, lovely caravan there, wonder how the Trabi would pull that up the hills around here though!

Good luck with the restoration and keep us updated.

Cheers, Ron.
  18. czechnology

Thanks guys. This is how the camper looks like now. Started to dismantle the interior already. This will not be restored to original condition, but will be made to fit the needs of my family to occassionally camp somewhere.

Ron, the trabi pulls the trailer without any problem, only is a bit slower :) The problem starts when it comes to stop the set! :D These trailers were developed to be pulled by Trabants, so it IS possible :) an adventure though! :)

unnamed.jpg

And here is the datasheet:

qek.jpg
    Justin, frogbros, Ron and 1 other person like this.
  19. czechnology

IMG_20150222_200043.jpg

Qek renovation in progress! :)
  20. czechnology

Last weekend I bought another Trabi! :)
    This time it is the four-stroke Trabant 1.1 Universal.
    Only 45 000km on the clock, no rust, only some minor issues! Yuppie!
    IMG_20150316_065255.jpg