1. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

very nice trabis and camper
  2. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Aye, very nice, and I'll bet that 1.1 will pull the caravan a bit easier!

Well done and many thanks for the pics!
  3. czechmate

czechmate Newbie

Ahoj borec ! jak se mate doufam za se mas dobre , jmenuju se Bart jsem z anglie , snazim se ucit cesky ! iam the same age as you and I have the same trabant as you in the same colour ! I have friends in praha and will be there in cerven , maybe I would like to see your car and meet you , maybe we can become trabbie friends 1
  4. czechnology

czechnology Smoking Along

Hello Bart, why not - when exactly are you arriving and where are you going to stay? I can pick you up at the airport, I live very close to it. We could do some Trabi chatting! :)
  5. czechmate

czechmate Newbie

Ahoj Joe , dobry den jak se mate muj kamos , budu tam nedele 7th cerven , dokud 14th cerven , zustanu v karlov most . ten hotel je Charles bridge palace , prijdu vam naproti a tvuj trabant , myslim ze tohle je naprosta skvele ! , mozna budu mluvit v anglicky protoze muj cesky je velmi spatney jsem trochu hluopy , toje mi lito .

Hello Joe good day how are you my friend I will be there sunday 7th june until 14th june I will stay at Charles bridge the hotel is called Charles bridge palace , I will come to meet you and your trabant I think this is absolutely great , I hope we can meet and I would love a ride with you in your car , we have a lot in common we have the same car in the same colour and we are the same age and I love your country its the nejlepsi zeme ! my friend lives there he was born there and he will pick me up from airport but mockrat dekuju ! to je od vas mile . I really hope we can meet you and talk about trabants and your life in Czech , tesim se na to borec ! postarat se o sebe mluvit brzo , doufam ze mi rozummis
  6. czechnology

Hello Bart, I am sorry - but during this period, I will be with my friend from USA in Norway, I won´t be in Czech rep. Maybe next time! :)
  7. czechmate

czechmate Newbie

Have a good holiday joe , maybe you can recommend me somewhere in prague where I can obtain trabant parts when iam there !
  8. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

How do the 1.1 trabis run? Are they as much fun to drive as the 2 stroke cars? Are parts as easy to find? What's the top speed like? Is acceleration any better? So curious, since there aren't any in the U.S. yet. But this year is the beginning I think. Now that they aren25 years old they are exempt from many import restrictions. I hope to see some soon in the us.
  9. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I had a chance to buy a 1.1 sedan and a 601 wagon for $2500 (each) from G&G in Miami (same guy that imported my 1981 model) back in 2012. The trouble: Both were 1991 models so not only would Tennessee nor Florida would not grant a title to either of them because they were not 30 years old yet.

Are there any states that will allow a car that is 25 years old to be registered without documentation?

If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased both and looked for some older vins and swapped them out. I could have kicked myself for not buying either of them.

G&G said one went to Canada and the other one was purchased by a movie studio.

It's my understanding parts for the motors are common but transmission parts are unobtainable due to the small numbers of cars that were produced. I thought maybe if the engines were VW, the transmissions were to but apparently they were of a unique design and only went into the Trabants.
  10. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

11. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

Lol that's funny as heck!
  12. czechnology

Hi Bart, sorry for my late reply. I haven´t been here for a while, did lots of travelling this year and busy at work. If you get around, let me know anytime!
  13. czechnology

These 1.1 Trabis are something else. They are not as much fun as the two stroke, but the suspension is a lot more comfortable, and the car has a lot more of power compared to the 601. Even when fully occupied and loaded, tt pulls the Qek caravan without any problems. Without the trailer you can use the 4th gear almost all the time, no need for shifting. 5th gear would be nice on highways though... Some of the parts are the same as the 601, lot of them not. It looks very similar, but many parts are different. Some of the parts are getting hard to find. Engine is a VW Polo, so that is easy, but the front axle parts are a problem already. I am missing also some manuals and documentation. I got a few, but they are kind of brief, and only in German. I love it though!
  14. czechnology

So the Qek camper has been restored since May, and was in heavy use this summer! (about 10 000km on 26 y/o DDR made Pneumant tires! :D ) My regular Skoda Fabia pulled it.

First we went to circle the Baltic sea, and went through: Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark. Then we took a short break and drove it all the way south to Calabria, the southernmost part of Italy. Everything went well, and the camper truly became another member of the family. :)

1435132064.JPG
    1435132095.JPG
    IMG_20150501_193741.jpg
  15. czechnology

...So after one year of occassional experience pulling the caravan with the family loaded 1.1, I decided to swap the engine with a 1.3 from Wartburg. So I bought and restored one. The engine is basically the same, fits to gearbox and frame without any mods. Only the exhaust manifold is different. Now I removed the complete powerpack, will restore the front axle, and put the new engine it. There will be no visible difference, just more power! :)
    1451310797.JPG 1451310814.JPG 1451310823.JPG 1451310834.JPG 1451310846.JPG 1451310859.JPG 1453682295.JPG 1453682316.JPG
  16. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Great,nice project!

Good luck!
  17. czechnology

Thank you. I just realized, that not only the exhaust manifold, but also the water pipe (from water pump to thermostat housing) is also a bit different.
  18. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

But easy to change I think because this VW engines are not complicated!
  19. czechnology

Noat at all. They are fairly simple. It interesting the discovery of differences when disasembling. The engine block is the same, so all parts are replaceable.
  20. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

You are right,but I think you have a sollution to make it fit?!?