1. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

2. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

that p600 looks very nice and be a car to have in a collection, wish i had room and a bit of extra cash be fun to have a 600 and a 601
  3. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

who ever buys those ask for the import papers need to make sure it had a h7 when they brought it in
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

These have been around before, and they are titled in Florida so no need to worry about import documents.
  5. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

maybe but az wanted to see all my papaer work for a plate and an az title better safe then sorry as all states are diffrent
  6. Wartburg353W

What state was your title from? Here's a quote from the Arizona website:

Out-of-State Vehicle Title and Registration
    To title and register your out-of-state vehicle, you must have these items:
    • A completed, signed Title and Registration Application
    • An emission compliance form (Phoenix and Tucson areas only)
    • A Level I vehicle inspection, if out-of-state title and/or registration is missing
    • An out-of-state title (or registration, if title is held by lienholder)
    • Out-of-state license plates
    • A lien clearance, if applicable
    • Power of Attorney from the lessor (original or certified copy), if leased vehicle
    • Payment of all applicable title and registration fees
    Not sure why they demand that you have license plates.
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

GGExport is the guy who imported mine into the United States. I asked him to title the car in Florida in his name or business then sign it off so Tennessee wouldn't hassle me when I tried to register the car.

So I just handed the DMV the Florida title and $65 and they handed me a permanent Antique licence plate. No questions asked.
  8. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

My experience was similar to @turbofiat124 my car had already been imported and titled in another state. KY doesn't really have a DMV, we just go to local county clerks office. I did still have to have an "inspection" done by the local sheriffs office but it was more of a "what the heck is this thing?" and "Hey so and so come take a look at this crazy thing!". So the biggest difference was there were a lot of questions asked when I registered mine :)
  9. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

yes mine was fl title see blow
    What state was your title from? Here's a quote from the Arizona website:

Out-of-State Vehicle Title and Registration
    To title and register your out-of-state vehicle, you must have these items:
    • A completed, signed Title and Registration Application- mvd will handle this
    • An emission compliance form (Phoenix and Tucson areas only)-- i got out of this with collector insurance
    • A Level I vehicle inspection, if out-of-state title and/or registration is missing- a basic vin look over
    • An out-of-state title (or registration, if title is held by lienholder) i had a fl title
    • Out-of-state license plates- car never had them and this is where my issue started due to lack of any reg papaer work, last owner got a title only and that is what made them want to see the import docs
    • A lien clearance, if applicable---- na
    • Power of Attorney from the lessor (original or certified copy), if leased vehicle
    • Payment of all applicable title and registration fees
    Not sure why they demand that you have license plates.----- they want to see your current registration.

This is not the cars must have this paper work but just do your homework hate to see someone with a paper weight, or have extra hoops to jump thought to get to legally drive their trabi , cause as we all know that is the best part. Plus az is just dumb when it deals with odd ball cars. They hate rhd imports and the cops love to hassle us
  10. turbofiat124

Yeah we only have a county clerks office. They do a sniff test in Nashville and Memphis but they don't inspect cars in Tennessee.

They never even bothered to ask me if the car had all the required equiptment or have it inspected like backup lights, seat belts, DOT compliant turn signals, side marker lights, etc. I was baffeled that the park lamps were built into the headlights instead of the turn signals.

I guess when I handed them a clear Florida title, they knew the car was legal.

One morning I was at a red light and there was a police officer behind me. My car had not quite yet warmed up so it was still smoking. When I pulled out, I left this big plume of blue smoke. Instead of the police officer pulling me over for mistakening having worn rings, he just pulled in the passing lane and floored it to get around me! I guess he figured my car wasn't any worse than all these diesel pickup trucks belching thick black smoke.

Have you ever noticed that most people won't tail gate you in a Trabant when trying to build up speed? Once they get a whiff of burnt 2 cycle oil, they either back off four car lengths or try to get around you as quick as possible. Even if I am cruising along at the speed limit, someone may get behind me and then give them about five seconds and they whip over into the passing lane to get around me!

Prius repellant!

[​IMG]
  11. Wartburg353W

Interesting, so in AZ unless you have a title AND registration they treat you like a new title. Wonder why? I can't see any point.
  12. Fleadog

Fleadog Newbie

Wow! I am very interested in the 601. Thanks for providing these links!
  13. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

az is dumb sometimes. they also want to avoid people washing titles, making a once salvage or reconstructed title a no bar title
  14. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

It seems like it would push more people to do just that by being a little overly concerned.
  15. Wartburg353W

Yeah I thought about the idea being to prevent "laundering" titles- but I don't see any way that requiring a registration makes any difference. If you can fake a title, you should be clever enough to come up with some license plates. If it's because AZ doesn't trust another state's title requirements, how does requiring an equally lax registration as well make any difference? And additionally to the pointlessness, it seems like that violates federal interstate commerce regs. I'm not trying to put you on the spot, I realize you're not answerable for it; just wondering out loud. An interesting discussion.
  16. turbofiat124

Tennessee has always been concerned about people buying flood damaged cars at scrap metal prices and pressure washing them and reselling them as good cars. As was the case back in the 1993 Mississippi river floods and Huricane Katrina. Since Katrina, they have becomed more lax about titling cars without documention. But the car has to be 30 years old. I guess they figure if someone is going to pass off a flood damaged car it's going to be something late model.

Wartburg 353: I live near the Virginia border and I'm really surprised some of the cars from over there actually pass inspection. My co-worker has a late 90s Chevy pickup. It is a wreck. The rear bumper has almost rotted off. I suppose from where he has to drive on dirt roads and the dirt get's packed in there. He once had this 77 Ford F-150 that was in worse shape.

Apparantly structural rust is not a concern when passing Virginia inspection. What do they check? Lights, brakes, suspension and steering components? But never mind if sections of the frame are rotted away and the parts of the vehicle look like they are about to fall off. The county he lives in, they don't do a sniff test.
  17. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

Az only will do a sniff test, so as long as you pass that, you can drive a rust bucket on steelies and a doughnut wheel and broken tail lights no headlights. then your good
  18. turbofiat124

I think the logic in Tennessee is it's up to the owner to make sure their car is mantained. But if you drive around with a cracked windshield, broken taillights or some other infracture, they write you a heafty fine. You could say inspected systems are a racket but I suppose the state still get's their money one way or another.
  19. staplerformilton

staplerformilton Puttering Along

so the Trabant P50 has been relisted for a third time. Because nobody bid on it, he changed it to a "Buy it now" format with a price of $13,000 OBO. I have never seen an early trabant for that much money. In fact, theres one for sale in the same condition in Germany for the equivalent of around $8900. Is this one worth $13000? Is he being overly optimistic or am i just short-sighted? I'd like to have an early trabant but I've been way upside down on a deal before and don't want to overpay again.
  20. Fleadog

Fleadog Newbie

I got the 601! Now I am a trabant owner! :)
    Justin likes this.