1. staplerformilton

staplerformilton Puttering Along

Thanks guys

I can't find any Lucas brand way out here but there are other brands of semi synthetic 2 cycle oil.
    I have always mixed my 2 cycle fuel in a 40:1 ratio for my outboard boat engine, chainsaw and weed eater. Smokes some but seems to prevent engine wear. Is that really too rich for a Trabant?

Oh and tricken id love to show it to you if you came this way. It's really nice.
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Hey Stapler, I'm in San Antonio.

If you have O'Reilly's in your neck of the woods, they can order the Lucas Semi-Synthetic and it's usually there within a couple days.

Every couple months, I order a gallon at a time from my local O'Reilly's,
  3. staplerformilton

Thats great news Thanks I'll look into that. Oreilys originally told me they didn't have any Lucas 2cycle oil but they may have simply meant they were out.
  4. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

i order mine from amazon. at my door in 3 to 4 days. i then use a 16 oz doser bottle to carry some in the car. then top off my bottle at home from the gallon jug

heck yea i love to see it in person
  5. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

You can get Lucas at O'Reliy's autoparts for about $28 a gallon. My store has to order it because they don't stock in their shelf but can get it overnight for me. I've heard of people using Wal-Mart TC3 with good luck. Once again my store carries it in the backroom but does not stock it on their shelf. It's $13 a gallon.

I mix mine at 40:1. The consensus says it's a better mixture than 50:1.
  7. staplerformilton

Thanks all

Running slightly richer (as a nervous newbie I suppose) than 40:1 and it's running like a top. Found some Lucas at O Reily's after asking them to look for it a little harder; thanks for the tip. The car runs like a top, and jaws drop everywhere I go. Great fun!
  8. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

that is great how is your colum shift skills going? that is half the fun is the looks
  9. staplerformilton

I haven't ground the gears all the way off yet so that's good; but there have been some embarrassing moments while onlookers laughed I must admit
  10. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

if i haven't driven it in a few weeks and i downshift is where i get in trouble but if the car looks great no one cares that you are rolling slow. 1st i find is dead stop and best to do a in 2nd back to fist to get it to go in the easist
  11. LAX-stranger2

LAX-stranger2 Newbie

Hi guys.
    I just suggesting DO NOT even try 50:1 gas oil ratio mix. You will asking for trouble. The old communist way 1 Liter oil to a tank of gas. The best, just get weed wacker oil from Home depot. Any high tech car oil just waste of money with no better result. I fell in the pit with the 50:1 and cost me a cylinder and piston regardless I have over 1/4 century experience with Trabi on two continent. This is just a advise.
  12. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I have 16000 km on a trabantwelt engine running 50:1 fully synthetic cheap oil. :)
    still no sign of blowing up yet. :)
  13. LAX-stranger2

LAX-stranger2 Newbie

Just try to run in Palm Springs CA at 110-120/ hour and will talk again. Can not color eastern eggs with fart, just make a stink in the room.
  14. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Not going to travel to palm springs to test it, but here in denmark i only use two settings on the throttle. :D
  15. LAX-stranger2

LAX-stranger2 Newbie

Today Trabi drivers just weekend warriors, I just suggesting to consult a old 2 stroke dirt bike racer or do your own research on mixing ratio. If you driving like that old lady from Pasadena and miss to add oil at a fill up, you will be just fine. Here in USA everybody does his own way it`s a free country. My younger age I was driving 30,000 -35,000 km a year with the a Trabi.
  16. LAX-stranger2

LAX-stranger2 Newbie

17. LAX-stranger2

LAX-stranger2 Newbie

Any body came out with a better gas & oil mixing ratio?
  18. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Running with too much oil can also cause the exhaust system to back up, cause back pressure, etc.

I am probably a little rich on oil...+/- 45:1, but I use Lucas Semi-Synthetic. I know under communism you got what they had out of the pump and the car would run, but I think looking at 30+ years of improvements in oil, plus the better oil and gas you would get 30+ years later in a NON-Communist country, I would imagine for most people, depending on carb settings, 50:1 is fine.

But we've had multiple discussions on this topic OUTSIDE the For Sale section
  19. staplerformilton

Yeah you may be right on the whole exhaust back pressure thing. my car tends to blow a spattering of oil through the exhaust and past the exhaust pipe joints and out the back when I start it, so it must be puddling beyond the manifold. It's made quite a mess out of my garage, but I still wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Justin likes this.