1. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

The weather was fine, the scent of 2-stroke mix was in the air. What a great event yesterday, Nov. 9, to mark the anniversary of the opening of the Berlin Wall! This year, my father was here to be a driver so the show was treated to not one but two Wartburgs among the little Trabis. There were even border guards, a stasi officer and yours truly, a friendly Volkspolizist. Live music by an oompah band plus photo-ops with dachsunds rounded out the event. A great time was had by all. IMG_2037 (800x600).jpg IMG_2047 (800x600).jpg
  2. Wartburg353W

Trabi crashes through the Berlin Wall! IMG_2052 (800x600).jpg
  3. Wartburg353W

4. Wartburg353W

5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Wish I could have been there. It's just as well, my brakes finally crapped out on me Friday and I have been working on them this weekend. There is always next year!
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Aaron and Wartburg353W like this.
  7. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

The event made a DC paper also. Here is the pic. Local.jpg
  8. Wartburg353W

That's great! You da man trabant601.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I noticed that I am indeed the man in that picture. That photographer took a dozen pictures of me and my car, he was on the Leica Washington DC Walking Tour. The Leica store gave cameras to participants and they went around the city taking pictures. They didn't just give them, participants paid plenty I recon. It is an official event that they do, it is online and supposedly there is a gallery in the DC Leica store's webpage. I can't figure it out if there is.
  10. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

0911-140640EA.jpg 0911-142030EA.jpg 0911-150659EA (1).jpg 0911-151501EA.jpg
    These were taken by a spectator who emailed me these pictures. I am working on getting more of them out of my email to post them. Several people sent me pics from that day.
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

You can see in the last two that I now have the heat exchanger and the expansion chamber. Two years earlier this same car had the exhaust pipe connected directly to the manifold. I know, speculation was that it shouldn't run, but it did just fine, only low performance, used more fuel, and I had not heat. Before 1960 or 1961 or so no 2 cycles had expansion chambers until the DDR invented it and a defector Motorcycle racer released his bike for the world to learn how the DDR was winning so many races. (it was the expansion chamber which returns some of the un-burned exhaust fuel back to the cylinder to be burned in the next compression., I think I got that right.)

Attached Files:

12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

photo (6).JPG photo (5).JPG
    The lady in the newspaper with me took this picture of her daughter with me.