Justin Owner Administrator

25th Anniversary Commemorating the Fall of the Berlin Wall

spymusem.jpg
    Spy Museum Parade of Trabants
    November 8, 2014
    INTERNATIONAL SPY MUSEUM
    800 F Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20004
    I know we're a bit early but I wanted to plant the seed for this event. After all, it is the 25th Anniversary so this should be a stellar even to attend. I plan on going (flying in, not driving) and encourage members who can drive in to do so and if you can't drive, then fly out and at least bring your presence.

Below is a copy of the email I received from the Spy Museum outlining a few more details.:

"Hi Justin,

So great to hear from you regarding the Spy Museum’s Parade of Trabants. We love this event and would be thrilled with your help in making our 8th Annual parade a big success. For the 20th anniversary, we had 20 cars, so we’d love to have 25 (at least) for the 25th. Mike Annen is our inspiration and trabant guru, so I’m cc-ing him on this email. We’ve got the date scheduled for Saturday, November 8th (sadly it’s one day off the anniversary, but Saturday has historically been the best day of the weekend for us to hold this. Let us know how we can help you help us get the best representation yet!

Thanks!

Amanda Ohlke
    "

So what are everyone's thoughts? I know November is a way, but no time like the present to start planning.

UPDATED 8/4/2014--

I've created an event on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1456559354617060/

If you're going please join it, this way we can start to get a proper headcount.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

The event is awesome every year. I would however make one suggestion to make it even more awesome this year. In the afternoon as the show is breaking up they should let everybody who wants to drive their cars "parade style" around DC, or even better to a group destination such as a prearranged photo opportunity at some landmark, or perhaps the German embassy, or a German restaurant. That would really put the icing on the cake, so to speak. Suggest that to Amanda and I bet she could help plan it. The museum is such a great host! And Mike does a great job too! I'm looking forward to it.
    Jeff
    Justin likes this.
  3. Justin

That is a great idea and I will bring it up.

Are you planning on attending with one of your Wartys?
  4. Wartburg353W

I haven't planned that far ahead yet but it's fairly easy for me to attend. Last year I had both of them there! Mike and the whole museum staff have made me feel welcome despite technically not having a Trabant.
  5. Justin

Well I think it's just a mild technicality. In comparison to something more modern, it's like we all have Honda's and you have an Acura.

It's still East German :)
  6. Wartburg353W

Oh and another suggestion for this year's festivities: David Hasselhof. Many Americans don't realize it but he was a huge part of the jubilation surrounding the opening of the border. Performing the song: "I've Been Looking for Freedom" in Berlin wearing a jacket covered with blinking lights. Somebody should contact his agent and get him booked. How expensive can he be? :) Oh wait he may be busy doing the same thing for the anniversary in Germany! Well, an impersonator perhaps?
  7. Justin

That'd be awesome! But give this is a fairly frugal group, unless he wants to do it pro bono, that may be a stretch
  8. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Looks like right now, tickets for me would be around $450 (searching for tickets in November). But if I search 30 days out from now, tickets are $265...I think if it gets close and I can get tickets for under $300, I could make it happen.
  9. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Justin...I saw your post where you said pro bono...but my brain saw Bono (U2)...which would also be fitting. Achtung Baby...maybe we could get a U2 Trabant there.
  10. Justin

Yeah, this far out you get ripped off...as we get closer prices should get better.

Regardless, I'm planning on being there.
  11. Justin

Chris in NC has one of them, it doesn't run though...I haven't seen or heard from him in a while though
  12. Aaron

Aaron Leader

I am planning on attending as well, should be a good time and I am already looking forward to it.
  13. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

I will be there as well. Wife is headed to Germany tomorrow, I gave her a list of stuff to grab that is small, but.... I won't hold my breathe. Maybe I will have the seats reupholstered for this show, and be lower.... of course.
  14. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

I'm definitely attending. And looking forward to it.
    There is a restaurant in DC called the Brickskeller - it's no entirely a German restaurant, so much as a beer pub with great food, but it would be a good rally point.
    There was once a hotel at one time that featured car themed rooms, but I think it closed. I'll check into it.
    There is an amazing Hungarian folk dance group in the area, the Tisza Ensemble. That would be a great show!
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Id be into the folk dancing thing if its going..My wife is Hungarian and would love it.
  16. Justin

@Aaron, you need to come to Texas then
  17. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

I plan to attend. Do you have to preregister or just show up?? Does anyone recommend a hotel??
  18. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

The last time I saw him on TV he was eating a hamburger while almost passed out drunk, I'd say he is not too busy these days...
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  19. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I'd love to bring my Trabbi to the event. It's 400 miles from DC so I'd have to trailer my car unless I took two days off to get there! I live closer to Harrisburg PA than I do Memphis TN by 40 miles!

I asked and she said she would like to go but, she wants to have a look around DC while we are up there. Which I'm not all that interested in because I don't like driving through big cities. The only interests I have in DC is the Spy museum and the Smithsonian.

I'm more into museums than landmarks. When I was in Philly at one of the Fiat club shows, I had to check out the Mutter musuem!

http://muttermuseum.org/

How far deap into the city is the Spy museum?
  20. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

The spy museum is right smack dab in the middle of the city, just outside of Chinatown. Well, in fact, everything is only a few blocks away - Union Station, the Capital, the White House, all the Smithsonians. It's a very accessible city. I used to live there, and I'm not much of a city guy either, but DC was comfortable. Small town-y as cities go. Turbofiat, the Smithsonian Museums are a solid week long endeavor. Each museum is a full day, at least a half a day. But it's a great place to visit.