1. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I hauled my classic Mini on one of the tow dollys from UHAUL, the Mini has a smaller wheelbase and smaller wheels than the Trabi. I had to get it on just right, but it worked.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Thanks Justin. Are you driving, flying into DC or are you bringing your car?
  3. Justin

I'm flying...have to be back at work on Tuesday
  4. turbofiat124

Well if you need a ride to the spy museum you can always ride with my father and me. My wife has decided to stay at home since her, mom and our daughter was going to just hang at the hotel anyway. I tried to talk her into going. I think I have up to 24 hours to cancel the second room just in case she changes her mind.
  5. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

yeeehaaa
    see you guys in one week!!
    I'll be the one in the Trabant
  6. turbofiat124

Anybody know what time the Spy musuem opens? I heard around 10 am but I think everyong was going to leave the hotel early to help setup things. I guess we are all going in a convoy? This should be fun crop dusting on the way to the musuem!
  7. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

weather underground predicts cloudy on Friday, Saturday high 52 & sunny
    Yeehaaa
    James, did you find a trailer?
    Hopefully we will convoy, I'll just follow the Trabant in front of me,
    Not sure when the museum opens, but when we get there that's when it will start!!!
  8. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

i am planning to pick up a trailer friday moring from a rental place and head down.
  9. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

10. turbofiat124

Well I can't seem to get the guy to answer his phone! All I get is a voice mail. I had to pay him a visit in person the following day just to confirm I was not getting a tow dolly and told him that his phone wasn't working and asked him if I was even dialing the correct number.

He's promised he would have me a trailer of some sort. We will see.

Justin says a vintage Mini will fit on a U-haul which is more narrow than a Trabant. Maybe the tow dolly I rented for my Yugo was made by some other company since it did not come from a U-haul dealer.

As far as the weather is concerned, I can deal with 52F and sunny. This past weekend was nasty here on the east coast. My daughter woke me up at 5 am so I went out to smoke and it was sleeting and there was about 3 to 4" up in the mountains yesterday. Doesn't surprise me this time of year, it was 80F this past Monday.

My only concern is cold weather starting. My starter was turning over slower than usual at 39F one morning. I'm concerned my 2 year old Excide battery is getting weak. I had to break out the can of ether than morning. I'll have plenty of ether on hand just in case in anyone else has issues! Rather than pulling the hose between the air cleaner and carb off everytime, I'm thinking about drilling a small hole in the snout just above where the hose connects and plug it off using one of those rubber plugs that comes with ink refilling kits. Then just pull it out and give it a squirt and pop it back in. Of course I shouldn't have to do this!

There was also some delay action with the solenoid retracting when I let off the ignition switch. Hopefully if an IFA starter is anything like a Bosch starter, then it's just a matter of pulling the plunger out, cleaning off any funk buildup (dried grease) and relubricating it with engine assembly grease.
  11. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Trabis fit on the auto transport just fine...I would use the dolly, but I dont trust my rear wheel bearings for 1100 miles at 70mph ;)

Rental for the auto transport thurs-sun was $200...They are so easy to load, and have straps built in to tie down at the front tire its worth it to me.
  12. Rosko

Rosko Puttering Along

TRABANTS WANTED!

Hello! First, I want to acknowledge the fabulous idea and give credit to the Trabant owners and organizers for coming together for this unique event every year! This year is special because of the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Wall. I am organizing a small party-gathering of contemporaries of those events, as well as all types of "Cold Warriors," on that same day - Saturday, November 8th in the evening, here in DC. The idea occurred to me to reach out to Trabant owners, and invite them to join us and drive their Trabants straight to our gathering after the parade. Our event is on Facebook and I will be happy to share it with you, proud Trabant owners : )
  13. Justin

Given the event is the end of this week, please share so those who want to attend can.
  14. Rosko

Rosko Puttering Along

So the gathering is at a house by Meridian Hill Park in NW DC, this Saturday night around 8pm, after the parade in China Town. The idea is to get a police permit for 2 reserved street parking spots in front of the house for 2 trabbys if there are volunteers that want to join the party and bring their Trabants. The party invites go through Facebook only, so reach out to me there and add me (Rossen Tsanov) and I will forward an invite.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Few things here...First, I called the Hilton yesterday and they said they have no parking whatsoever. They have a parking garage that is 6', so even a fullsize truck without a trailer doesnt fit. I talked to the head of Security, Abraham, and he said there is room for one spot by the loading dock. Otherwise, he had no suggestions, and neither did the front desk. When mentioning several were coming, they advised I try to tell as many ASAP.

Another thing, just after I got word my work schedule changed last minute and I cant get Friday or Saturday off, so unfortunately I am going to have to bow out. :(
  16. Justin

Thank you for the update.....Too bad you can't make it...I was really looking forward to meeting you.
  17. turbofiat124

OH that's great. Well if there is no parking available then I'm not sure if I can make it either. I don't think my car or me is up for a 400 mile trip to DC and back with five passengers. Plus if the parking garage is only 6' tall, I guess my conversion van won't fit due to the roof extention which makes it 10' tall.

Anybody know of any other hotel alternatives? I guess I'm going to have to bail out to.
  18. Justin

Or we determine a Plan B....@TNTrabi, any ideas? I'm going to email the Spy Museum.
  19. Justin

I just called the Spy Museum and left a message with the person heading this event from there.....I'll keep everyone posted if they have any ideas or alternatives.
  20. turbofiat124

I called Hilton's phone number 866-573-4235 (or Hotels dot com) and talked with a lady who may have been from a call center, I don't know but I explained what Aaron posted about the parking situation and she put me on hold and said she called the hotel directly and they said they had underground parking available which would accomodate my 10' coversion van and trailer. So I don't know.

No names mentioned but somebody else is on the case. I suppose if push comes to shove maybe there is another Hilton in the area with a larger parking area that will honor our reservations and transfer us to another Hilton. There seems to be plenty of Hilton's in the DC area.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014