1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Roger and Ingrid Fuller
    1989 Trabant 601S de Luxe Universal
    BillB likes this.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Is the hotel giving any kind of group discount to us? Just wanted to ask before I booked my room.
  3. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

No official group to receive a group discount.
    As I understand from previous years, it's a nice place with room to park trailers, close to the museum and seems pretty reasonable for that area.
    I'd say book it.
    Caleb likes this.
  4. turbofiat124

OK. I was just curious. I'm wanting to go but someone recently came up so I'll have to wait a few days before I make reservations. Or at least find out if I can go, how soon I can cancel in order to get my money back.
  5. turbofiat124

OK. Got my rooms booked! See you guys there.
  6. BillB

I am really sorry guys, I have to bail on the rally. I've tried like hell to get all of the conflicts and overlaps out of my schedule. I really wanted to go (second year I've missed), but it's just not going to happen.
  7. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Puttering Along

I got the 601 insured, and tagged. Though I've never gotten to making it into a driving car... :eek:

For sure the car won't be there, and probably its owner too.
  8. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

With so many Trabant owners in IL, maybe you should organize a meet at another time of year near there? I know some folks in KY and TN might be interested as well? Maybe even some folks from the NE, too.
    BillB likes this.
  9. BillB

Thanks Roger, great suggestion. I need to track down Keri to help get something organized, she knows everyone around here.
    I feel like a schmuck. Really wanted to go and support the DC event. I hate when work gets in the way of my personal life.
  10. turbofiat124

Don't feel bad, I couldn't make it last year. This year all the planets are aligned so I have no excuse not to make it.
  11. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I hope to see as many of you as can make it. I'll be there just as an observer this year . . . Wartburgs are staying home.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  12. turbofiat124

Yesterday I got the trailer hooked up to my van. I loaded my Trabant to make sure it's going to work. It barely fits. But unlike the U-haul trailer I rented two years ago, the weight of the car is over the axles. With the U-haul trailer all the weight was shifted toward the front with allot of the weight on the tongue causing the rear end of my van to squat.

The hardest part is figuring out those rachet nylon straps. I guess if you use them on a daily basis, they are not a big deal. When I went two years ago, it took me about four hours just to get the car strapped down!
  13. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

You want the straps which go over the tyres it takes 15 minutes to strap a car down with them,if you already have straps you can get the adapter straps seperatly for around £10 each
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  14. turbofiat124

Yeah the U-haul trailer I rented two years ago had some of those tire straps which I used but was still hard to figure out. I ended up strapping the body down for extra security. There are holes in the front control arms for hooks and I hooked the rear hooks around the rear springs.

I test fitted my car to my new trailer Friday and it barely fits. It's got a rear gate that allows me to drive up onto the trailer which is cool instead of using ramps. The floor is also made of 2X6s instead of being "hollow" in the center which was an issue with the U-haul trailer. If the distance between the wheels was any narrower, that might have been a problem.

One time I rented a tow dolly to haul my Yugo to a car show. I had two issues. The tire straps were not short enough for 13" tires and the width between the wheels on the car was too narrow for the dolly. Meaning the front and rear wheels on one side was hanging off about an inch. So I took it back to the rental company.

In other words, it seems most rental trailers and dollies in the US are made for bigger cars. I guess if you were try to haul my 68 Ford Fairlane on a trailer in Europe, the problem would be the exact opposite!

I can haul a 3000 lb car on this thing so if I wanted to haul my 2600 lb Spider I could do it.

I have not hauled a car on it yet but I think it will be OK. Only main issue is the trailer does not have brakes. I hope some idiot on the interstate doesn't try to do a "brake check" in front of me.

Also my left turn signal on my trailer is not working. It's not the trailer but It's something to do with a bad connection or the converter box that converts the turn and park lights into one signal. I did some troubleshooting and I think it's the wire coming out of the converter box. Not enough time to fix it. So I'm just going to wing it. My story is, "Well my left blinker was working when I left Tennessee...".

Hopefully I won't get stopped in the "Commonwealth" of Virginia for not having a licence plate on my trailer. TN doesn't require trailers for personal use to be tagged or registered but in Virginia they do.

Topped off all fluids on the van. It was low a quart (liter) of oil and a pint of power steering fluid. This van has over 150,000 miles on it and is 20 years old! Check engine light has been on for 7 years, code says it's a failed catalytic converter but it still runs good! Gas mileage sucks at 9/16 miles per US gallon but gets the job done.

Attached Files:

frogbros likes this.
  15. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

Getting the Trabant ready, changed oil & filter, topped off radiator, Changed the air in the tires from the summer air to winter air, and most importantly filled up the smoke canister with plenty of blue smoke,
    see you guys in a few days!
  16. VADOC

Just sent you a PM note
  17. turbofiat124

Hey, I was looking at directions using BING and Google Maps.

Bing says to get on Arlington Blvd off I-66 (breezily getting on the Beltway).

Google (which my GPS on my phone uses) says to take US29/Lee Highway off I-66 then turn off Fort Myer drive. But adds a measly 23 minutes to the 6 hour trip. Like I'm going to make it 400 miles in 6 hours anyway!

Only reason it really matters is when I tell people who are coming to my house through Knoxville is to exit the interstate outside of Knoxville and take the old state highway 11W directly to my house. The amount of traffic on I-40/I81 is so bad, you can drive 55 miles per hour on the old state highway without much traffic than fight to share the roads with traction trailers and other cars.

I wonder which road would have less congestion? Lee Highway or Arlington Blvd? I guess either way I-66 is going to be the kicker. The plan is to get there by dark.

The funny thing is I live less than 1 mile off Lee Highway (which is TN 11W) in Tennessee 400 miles from DC! I saw a sign for Lee Highway about 1/4 from the hotel we stayed at 2 years ago.

I figure it's just a matter of time before some jerk politician decides to rename Lee Highway to someone else since it was named after Robert E Lee. But I guess most people don't know that so they just haven't jumped on the "erase history" bandwagon.
  18. VADOC

The hotel is just off Exit 73 of I 66, you shouldn't have to get on the Beltway at all
    take exit 73 right on Fort myer, the North meade, right on Arlington, should not take more than a few minutes off I66
  19. VADOC

10 AM Thursday, Car is loaded heading out in about an hour!
    frogbros likes this.
  20. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

Really bummed to miss these last two years! Have had my eyes on the "Longest Distance Traveled" trophy! Everyone have fun! Gute fahrt mit Trabant!