1. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

I am looking at standard tuning mods offered by the usual suspects. If I fit one of the mildly tuned 35 ps engines, and then a gearbox with a 15% higher final drive, will I end up with a car that accelerates as fast as a standard Trabant (26 ps/standard gearbox ratios) but with higher speeds in all gears? Or will the 35 ps motor be overwhelmed by the higher gearing resulting in higher fuel consumption and lower acceleration?
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

That all depends on the engines torque if it produces more torque it will pull the higher gears with realative ease the standard gearings on the low side any how the fuel consumption should improve unless you live in a particularly hilly area or drive it like you stole it all the time
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

I've often thought the Trabant 601 would do fine on highways if it had a fifth gear. Does anyone here have experience with the "Sport-Getriebe" racing five-speeds they made for them?
  4. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

The trabi would be good with a 5 speed box it would make cruising at speed more relaxed i would like a t speeeder
  5. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Yes, I had considered those points. I'd really need to compare the torque curves of the two engines, and the power curve before making a decision. Has anyone experience of the Trabantwelt 35 ps engine?

I am sure that is true, however I am looking raising intermediate gears, such as at having a third gear that will top out at something around or over 80 km/h and 2nd gear that will crack 60 km/h. 80 km/h being the official maximum speed here in most of Norway.
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I didn't know there were gear ratio options available for the Trabant.

I haven't looked this data up but since you own a Dayne which is basically the same car as my 2CV we can compare. Both the Citroen and Trabant 600cc engines make about the same HP and the cars weigh probably about the same. Theoretically, the Trabant engine should make 60% more power than the Citroen but we are comparing pre WWII technology to a more modern 4 stroke engine.

The 2CV is definitely geared higher than the Trabant. The Trabant maxes out at 62 mph on flat land. The Citroen maxes out around 72 mph on flat land.
    Going up inclines, the Trabant will handle 3rd gear and accelerate (slowly) and will max out at 35 mph at the crest, the 2CV I have to leave it in 2nd gear and hold it at 30 mph at the shift point. Otherwise if I shift into 3rd it looses acceleration and have to go back to 2nd gear.

My Yugo is a good example of tuning with improper gear ratios. It originally had a 1100cc 55 BHP engine. I installed a 1500cc Fiat engine with a Garrett T25 turbo and I estimate it makes around 110 BHP. I can pull out in 1st and pretty much go directly into 4th gear on flat land and not stall the engine. It doesn't take very long to go through all the gears with that thing. Like by the time I'm at 30 mph, I'm in 4th gear and still accelerate with no problems.

Simply because it was geared for a 55 hp engine. I believe the final gear ratio is around 3.8:1.

Most turbocharged cars are geared much higher than normally aspirated engines but in my opinion most are geared way too high. I test drove a new Subaru WRX when I was having some minor warranty work done on my Subaru Baja about 10 years ago.

The car was geared so high, I could still do 40 mph in 2nd gear before I hit red line. It was geared so high, it didn't even feel like it had a turbo on it. I actually popped the hood and looked for one to be sure!

I thought to myself, if this thing had a standard Impreza gearbox it would be totally wicked.