1. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

I did this theme on my old Trabant, but it was destroyed in an accident. I plan to do the same to my "new" Trabant, but I intend to paint the car red with a white roof.

<--- Notice my avatar. :cool:

[​IMG]

Here's the front so far...

[​IMG]
    Justin likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

That is awesome! Do you have any photos of your old one?
  3. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

Here you go. The lower chrome stripe (front to back) will be much wider on my new Trabi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was powered by a Fiat 903cc engine. I got close by flipping the "6" on my "601." :D

[​IMG]

Next to a couple MiGs. THERE'S a neat opportunity! You can see my fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like now. You can read the story HERE.

[​IMG]
  4. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

All systems "go."
    I just bought 10 cans of Krylon cherry red spray paint (fan-shaped nozzle), plus some primer. I will probably do the side stripes first, then shoot the car red and the roof white. This will be awesome!
  5. Justin

Can't wait to see. Hey just out of curiosity, do you ever come across and IFA Camptourists over there in Hungary?
  6. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

No, I don't think so. I don't even know what that is.
  7. Justin

8. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

Started painting today. Cherry red. I only painted the rear section. I think it looks pretty good for "rattle-canning."
    The Krylon fan spray nozzle works really nice! I also added some aluminum tape around the tail light assemblies.

[​IMG]
  9. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Doesn't look too bad.

I have actually painted with a foam roller then wetsanded and buffed the paint out. Long story but I had to repaint the passenger door and roof on my Fiat 131. It was in the middle of winter and didn't want to get overspray all over my garage. The paint roller technique does not work very well because when you start wetsanding eventually you will sand into the primer trying to smooth down the high spots caused by overlapping of the paint roller. So it's more time consuming than if you used a spray can.

My Yugo didn't turn out that well. Major orange peel. So I had to wetsand and buff that car as well.

The humity is terrible here in East Tennessee so unless you have a controlled spray booth, it's almost impossible to turn out a good paint job without orange peel. Unless you can plan a paintjob around the humidity.

I have found you can make the cheapest paint or a bad paint job look expensive if you have the time to wetsand and buff it. The paint I used on my 131 was from Tractor Supply. Valspar Massy Furgeson wheel gray. $20 a gallon.

The paint on my Trabbi is not that bad. The driver's door and quaterpanel is just gouged down to the Duraplast in lots of places. I considered just touching it up here and there, wetsanding the entire car and buffing it. If I can get the paint I had mixed up to match.

[​IMG]
  10. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

Here's today's status. The stripes are on, but I think I sloped the bottom stripe down too far in the back. Still much to do including painting the rest of the car red, and putting on the chrome pinstripes into the white fin area.

[​IMG]
  11. 60chevyjim

60chevyjim Puttering Along

it looks great so far !! your stripes look very close to a real 57 chevy ,
    I have the 2 wide 57 chevy aluminum parts in my garage LOL
    I have 55 , 56, 59. and 60 chevy cars I have collected and 2, 51 chevy pickups.
    one of the 51 pickups I built for my wife . it uses a complete running V6 , 84 chevy s10 chassis with the 51 body on it
    so it looks old but drives like a newer truck for her . she loves it.
    Lotsokids likes this.
  12. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

Well, I got the red paint done yesterday. I still need to paint the roof white. It looked GREAT. BUT... I bought 5 cans of clearcoat last night and ruined it. It got a bunch of streaks in it. I'll try to get some 1,000+ sandpaper and try to even it out. I tried buffing with polishing compound this morning, but it did nothing. I should have left it alone when I finished the red. It looks awesome at a distance. I really got some looks driving it to work today. o_O

I'll post pictures later.
  13. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

That looks great so far, I really like the Mirafiorini too!
  14. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

Mirafiori, not Mirafiorini ;)

Mirafiori is the name of a FIAT plant in Torino, in the Mirafiori Sud district.
  15. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

New pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started wet-sanding the clear coat with 1,000 grit sandpaper today. Then I will buff it out. I think it will work!
    Still looking for chrome headlight covers... :(
  16. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Looks good. :)
    If i had to do it "the easy way" I would have removed all the lamps, and covered the holes, and removed the bumpers, and painting them beside. :)
    Justin likes this.
  17. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

I GOT THEM, FINALLY! I bought a new pair at the auto store here for $5 each - WOW! They were unpainted aluminum. So I spent about an hour polishing them with metal polish and they look NICE.

I'm not doing well with the sanding. That's a lot of work!
    Justin likes this.
  18. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

Nice work.

Attached two examples of a similar looks created by two guys in Switzerland.

Attached Files:

19. Lotsokids

Lotsokids Loyal Comrade

WOW... so I'm not the only one in the world with a Trabi like this!

Here's an updated photo with the polished headlight rings.

[​IMG]
  20. 60chevyjim

60chevyjim Puttering Along

it looks cool , nice work :)
    Justin likes this.