1. Guten Tag die Damen und die Herren!

[​IMG]

My name is Alexander Kreher, born in 1988 in Saalfeld, Thüringen, Germany (GDR at the time).
    I now live in Richmond, Virginia and I am currently working on a film about the Trabant and would like to connect with anybody who is interested in the film. To give you a quick overview of what the film will be about, here a short synopsis.

Since I am part of the generation that was gifted with freedom and the possibility to go wherever we wanted I want to make a film that reminds people that this sense of freedom is a luxury that not everybody has, especially not the people who lived in the former East of Germany. The key “characters” in my film that will represent that freedom will be the Trabant, the “Fall of the Berlin Wall” and the United States.

I will document my travel to the former East of Germany, where I will find a Trabant, buy and restore it to a point where it hopefully will be ready for the track of its lifetime. I will ship the car to the East Coast and then drive the Trabi across the United States in late October of 2016. Along the way, I want to visit people, such as some of you guys, that also have Trabant’s/Wartburgs and their own stories of freedom, I will visit car shows and meet-ups and important cities of car culture such as Detroit. The Half-Way point will be in Los Angeles, where I hope to meet Tom Hanks and his own Trabant (which is in the LA Car Museum). After that I will make the track back to the East-Cost where I want to finish this journey in Washington D.C. on November 7th, 2016 - for the annual Trabant Rally at the International Spy Museum.

To make this journey happen, I need help and I was hoping you could be part of this project.

I am looking for people who have immigrated from East-Germany to the US, people in the US who own Trabants but also people who have a very emotional and passionate connection to other cars (american muscle car, etc). Also, do you know of any outstanding car shows/meetups across the country? Within the next couple weeks I want to start visiting Trabi owners in and around Virginia, USA to start my first interviews.

I appreciate any help and support and can’t wait to call myself a proud Trabi Owner here in the US!

Please feel free to reach out to me via email or cell.

alexander.kreher@gmail.com
    (804) 929-0422
  2. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Hi and welcome to the forum! Your film sounds very interesting. I am sure a lot of people will be willing to help. I am not from Germany but my wife is a Hungarian immigrant and we own our Trabi in Kentucky. Are you going to be in DC this year for the Parade of Trabants? My wife and I should be there and it would probably be a good chance to meet a few others on the forum and get some more information.
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Hi Alexander,
    Welcome to the forum! Did you get the information I emailed you?
    Jeff
  4. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I would love to help with this project also.
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I live about 20 miles from where I-26 and I-81 intersect in Kingsport TN. If your journey is on this route, pay me a visit! I'd participate in your film as best as I could.

Although my ancestors (Sebold) emigrated from Germany around 1800, I have mostly English ancestory. Supposedly they were from the north eastern Germany. Which I think was lost to Poland (due to the treaty of Versailles?).
  6. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

I am in tucson az along i10. be fun to help out. our love for this little car started when my wife was an exchange student in 2000 in bautzen out side of dresden. the smaell and sound of these odd cars running down the street caught her eye. then i got to see them in 2004 and then about 11 years later i have one in my stable to call my own,
  7. Hello all,

Thank you so much for all your responses and interest in this project!

@Jeff: Thank you for double checking, I have received your email and just realized I didn't send the email I drafted up yet. Sending it off now.
    To everyone else, I will reach out to you individually!

Thank you all!
  8. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

9. This is your site, frogbros? That's fantastic. Do you own both of the green Trabis?
  10. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

Hey Alexander. No I own the 601. Anthony who lives nearby owns the P50

Regards Andy.
  11. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

Hi Alexander
    I live in southern West virginia, just north of the intersection of I77 and I81
    you're welcome to stop by and I'll show you the rest of the collection, they are mostly MGs but also a Daimler and ferrari
    Across the US in one month! quite ambitous!!
  12. Hi guys, just want to share the video teaser I made. Enjoy!

13. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Looks great! Can't wait to see the final product.
  14. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Fabelhaft! Love to see this, and to help!
  15. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

i am off the i10 in tucson great video
  16. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

I am located in Maryland and we have a Trabant Kombi. My wife is from the former East Side, I believe the wall came down when she was 8. She came to America to learn English about 8 years ago or so. We met, got married, got her a trabant, had a kid... life is good. She misses Germany very much. Feel free to contact us. All of her family is still there, mainly near Madgeburg. It is a bit of a time capsule in her old village. Cheers.
    Justin likes this.
  17. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

My Trabant is in Spokane, WA if you want to come see it. I was an exchange student in 1999 in Finsterwalde, Brandenburg, former GDR. Kann auch natürlich Deutsch.