1. radioman

radioman Premium Member Forum Donor

Just got the car thought in the pics it was a rev counter,would have been useful
    But no a temp gauge the sensor is fitted between the cylinder fins
    Once on the road will have to log what it gets up to.
    temp gauge small.jpg
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Someones been creative there. absolutely pointless since it will never ever overheat as long as the fan is spinning, and if fan stops spinning fanbelt is gone and charge light will light up. :)
    If it happens, dont try making it home. it will seize the engine in a matter of minutes without the fan. :)
  3. radioman

Might get a warning if starting to run weak
    Yes agree with you,pity was not a rev counter
  4. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

That's actually a pretty cool idea, even if it is a bit pointless. Will be interesting to see what sort of readings you get. If you are really concerned about engine temp though, an exhaust temperature gauge would probably be more accurate, then you would really know if the engine is starting to run lean.
  5. radioman

A guy I know races a Suzuki T20R & has sensors in the exhaust headers,ideal for getting the mixture really lean
    The problem is it's a fine line between lean & bang
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I once asked if a temperature guage was a worthwhile addition and someone mentioned they installed one of those cylinder head kits from an air cooled VW on a Trabant and the hottest it ever ran was 110F/43C . I believe the reason these engine run cooler than a 4 stroke air cooled engine is when the fuel/oil enters the crankcase, it atomizes and cools the engine.

A tachometer is somewhat pointless. I've gotten used to using the speedometer. 15 -->2nd, 30 -> 3rd, 70 --> 4th. These engine stall out anyway so you really can't over rev them unless you were to downshift but the transmission will prevent you from doing that anyway.

A tachometer might be good if it's really accurate for adjusting the idle speed. My idle speed seems to vary at times. Especially after I added my alternator. But the idle speed does not seem to be dropping as bad now nor has the engine stalled when the headlights on, now that I have new battery cables.

The fuel guage I added seemed like a good idea at the time but it's notoriously inaccurate and the needle bounces around like crazy. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just used the oddometer as a reference and just checked the level in the tank with the dipstick every 50 to 100 KM.
  7. radioman

Re Rev counter I have a strobe for 4 & 2 stroke with rev counter so can use that for setting tick over
    Have seen Keri's thread on rev counter & been looking today,many digital readout ones
    But like analogue
    I may well dispense with the temp gauge
    I've too heard about the fresh charge acting as a cooling effect
  8. turbofiat124

A friend of mine traded me this engine analyzer this for converting his Fiat over to electronic ignition:

[​IMG]

It suposed to do all sorts of things. Ohmsmeter, voltmeter, amp meter, tachometer, dwell etc.

They were made by some company back in the 1980s but were marketed under several different brand names. Sears Craftsman was one of them. Most people say they are garbage and is nothing more than a glorified multimeter but one thing about it, when I checked the idle speed on my '03 Subaru and compared it to the meter it was spot on. So I've been using it to set the idle speed on my Trabant. But the thing is you have to set it to 4 cylinder then divide the engine speed in half.

Supposably it can be used to test the amperage output of an alternator but I was told it would probably explode if I tested my alternator with it!
  9. radioman

All these tools are useful to test when we have trouble
    I've got some Craftsman tools,always thought they were good quality
    Resend the pic or model number
  10. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

I would like to have a rev counter for my Trabi, but I can't find one that is set up for a two cylinder 2 stroke.
    I wonder if there is a motorbike one that would do the job. But I am not a biker so have no clue what bikes run a two cylinder 2 stroke engine.
  11. turbofiat124

Most likely if you can fine one from an old snowmobile or a jetskit it might work since a lot of them use 2 cycle 2 stroke engines.
  12. Keri

Keri Leader

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  13. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

A friend with a trabant fitted a similar gauge to his trabant. It does work as the engine temp increases slightly when climbing a hill etc . So it will tell you if engine starts running hotter than usual. I have an air-cooled beetle though without a gauge but some owners love to fit all sort of extra gauges to beetles ( harmless but a waste of money )
  14. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Ya know, I had a VW for my first car and I never thought about whether it had a temp gauge or not. I was a novice driver you might say. Do they have temp gauges? I guess they do since you guys mentioned it. How do they work?

If anyone's interested, the Wartburgs have temp gauges since they are water cooled, but mine rise and fall inaccurately based on fluctuations in the electrical system. There were two types, a needle type gauge and an "LED" readout type. I think my problem in the older needle gauge car is it may be the later model sending unit in the engine. Or a general fault in the wiring. But the later car with the LED readout rises when I turn the lights or radio on and even rises up and down when the turn signal is blinking!
  15. turbofiat124

Yeah, my engine temperature increases 5 degrees F and I gain a gallon of fuel everytime I turn the headlights on my Fiat Spider!