1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Got the new $14 carburetor installed on my min-ATV yesterday. I haven't even adjusted the idle mixture screw and it idles smooth. I did have to slack off on the throttle cable adjustment and adjust the idle speed from where I had adjusted the cable with the original carb to get the RPMs up. I guess from where it was idling too rich.

Sounds much quieter, runs better and no longer smokes and it cranked up this morning around 40F but required a bit of coaxing. I think it's like the Trabant where if you close the chock off too much , it won't start so you have to find a sweet spot based on how cold it is. It seems with the choke half closed if the best spot. On a 70F day, it probably wouldn't even need the choke.

I haven't fitted the new rear shock absorber yet. I got some of that camo vinyl wrap to cover up the pink paint on the plastic fender flares.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Hello all,

Good thread this, here's our latest acquisition... not eastern bloc but Italian, a Tecnomoto Paciugo 'twist and go' dirt bike from (we reckon), around '75?

WP_20170126_15_54_33_Pro - Copy.jpg

Ran when we got it last month, currently awaiting new rings as compression was dire. The idea is for the boys to replace/repair components as they go, will need tyres, chain and sprocket, maybe forks etc... Great fun, and gotta love the twin-shock look! I get the impression it's quite a rare beast, but it uses a Franco Morini series 50cc, so engine bits are available at least.

WP_20170126_15_54_59_Pro - Copy.jpg

The boys want to show it next to Rosie and the Qek at the summer shows, I reckon it will fit in the Qek for transport.

Cheers all, Ronnie.
    turbofiat124 likes this.
  3. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Yes that's are rare bike makes a nice change from the Chinese made pit bikes
    Ron likes this.
  4. turbofiat124

I love these old bikes! That's cool!

My Tomos TX-50 seems to be indestructible! I've yet to break anything on that bike. It seems to be mish-mash of Slovenian and Italian made parts. Dellorto carburetor, the wheels are also Italian and appear to be magnesium from the looks of where the paint has flaked off. I think the tires are Made in China but are 7 ply! The heavier shock I installed really helped the ride.

Ignore the custom made exhaust system with the expansion chamber. That project didn't pan out too well....

[​IMG]

I got the "modified" shock absorber installed on my 110cc quad. I'm currently removing the plastic body in preparation for the camo wrap. About 25 screw/nuts! I'm going to have to split the front section down the middle with a jig saw to avoid having to remove the handlebars in order to get it off. I have yet to turn my 5 year old loose on the thing. I tried to give her control of the throttle one day while we were both on it but she wants to push it wide open from a stop! Luckily there is a stop screw I can turn to limit the throttle and it has a tether I can pull to kill the engine if she starts getting too crazy. I'm more concerned about the brakes. She used to battery powered rides that just stop on their own when you take your foot off the pedal.

The two stroke roundup:

[​IMG]

One of these days I'll get around to fixing the Yugo....
  5. kev the builder

not another new toy just a different veiw of my car im calling it my trabuar i put the wheels off my mates jaguar im working on against my trabi,i think it looks good 20170315_164136.jpg

Attached Files:

Tim S and Ron like this.
  6. turbofiat124

Still sorting out the bugs with the mini ATV. Apparently the broken swing arm bolt did more damage than I suspected. Eventually this happened:

[​IMG]

So I tore it apart to see what the deal was:

[​IMG]

I should have used an actual bolt but I cut down a piece of all-thread instead. Someone told me this damaged the bearing but I don't think so. I think the damage was already done. I was too lazy to go to Fastenal and ask for a 1/2 X 12" bolt so I went to Tractor Supply. They did not have one long enough. I figured if I asked for a 13 X 300 mm in this country, I'd get laughed at.

Instead of rubber bushings in the frame, I found it uses bearings, a sleeve and an O-ring. The sleeve inside the frame mystifies me. It's 13 mm ID and the bearings are 13 mm ID. It must be part of the bushing that is chewed up.

So how did they squeeze it through the bearing? Why does it have a groove for what looks like a snap ring? Unless the left hand bearing has a larger ID than the other side. And perhaps the snag ring is still inside the frame.

[​IMG]

Knocked the outer race out with a punch and hammer and pair of locking pliers. Knocked the other undamaged bearing out using the punch so I could get the numbers off the bearing to order new ones. less than $5.00 for two new bearings.

[​IMG]

Right side of swing arm shows no sign of damage. Looks like a bushing pressed into the swing arm.

[​IMG]

Left side where the damage occurred looks strange. As if something sheared off it. I'm starting to wonder if the sleeve is actually part of the bushing that sheared off.

[​IMG]

I can't figure out the purpose of the sleeve. Unless it's just there for a guide for the bolt to go through the swing arm and frame. Otherwise the bearings in the frame would be supporting the weight against the bolt.

My plan is to grind down the rough edge on the bushing on the swing arm, pop the new bearings into the frame (after putting them in a freezer) and carefully press them in using a socket against the outer race. Then drive the proper bolt through the swing arm and frame and out the other end (also after being stored in a freezer).

The other idea was to use a set of 1 1/16" OD polyurethane end link bushings from a sway bar instead of bearings. Easier and less of a chance of messing them up pressing them into the frame than bearings. But don't know how well they would hold up versus bearing.s

They are about the same OD as the holes in the frame. I could machine them down a bit to fit in place of the bearings by enlarging the center hole for a metal bushing for a 1/2" bolt, placing them in my table drill and shaving some off the OD using a file. In other words a makeshift lathe.

OH, I tried using that vinyl cammo wrap. It didn't work out that well. It doesn't work too well on curves. Maybe flat surfaces. The guys on YouTube make it look too easy!

Apparently the release again the company used when they pull the bodies out of the mold, if not removed, causes the paint to not adhere the plastic very well.

So I'm going to scuff up the body with a Scotch-Brite pad and use some sand-able primer and Rustoleum white gloss.

[​IMG]
  7. turbofiat124

Well, I used to think I was a Redneck but now I am a true bonafide certified Redneck!

After riding my friend's Yamaha 4 wheeler, I decided I needed one myself. Larger than 110 ccs anyway! So after I looked at a few on Craigslist I found exactly what I was looking for. I had $1000 to spend on a toy so I was a bit limited to a non running piece of crap to a beat up piece of crap but runs with few bugs to sort out. $1000 is about as cheap as you're going to get when it comes to a running 4 wheeler.

1997 Polaris Xplorer 300.

Made in USA (not China)
    CVT automatic transmission
    300 ccs
    4 wheel drive on demand (button)
    high and low range

And best of all:

It's a 2 stroker!!

Rear brake does not work but the fronts work well. Cooling fan is not kicking on, choke as to be closed to kill the engine and the warning lights do not work. Chains need adjusting but other than that it fires right up and runs great. So I got a few bugs to sort out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front rack is for your deer you killed, rear rack is for your cooler full of beer and your rifle and or shotgun...:D

[​IMG]

I've used this before on faded plastic and it works well. I don't know if I'd use this on paint though.

[​IMG]

Got one fender done but I need to remove the racks to do a better job. I need to spray the frame and motor down with kerosene and Blue Wolf cleaner and hit it with my pressure washer to remove 20+ years of dried grease. Seems the owner's of this thing and the owner of my Trabant had the same mentality in that department!

[​IMG]
  8. kev the builder

now that looks like a load of fun! your lucky to have some where to ride it in the uk its not that easy you have to either own some land or have the land owners permission to ride and a lot dont want the hassle as it also has implications of a responsibility for injury
  9. turbofiat124

I've got about 30 acres on my parent's property to ride mine on which was the remnants of my great grandfather's farm. Unfortunately most of it's a jungle. So I'm going to have to get Dad's tractor and mowing machine and create some trails.

We have allot of trails here in the US to ride these things on. Allot of small towns have started ATV tourism to bring in money for the local economy and have created trails and will let you ride them for free or a small fee and will even let you drive them on public roads into town providing you stay on a designated route.

Believe it or not, some states (Tennessee) will let you register and drive side by sides on the road (but not interstates) but they are limited to 45 mph. My friend is wanting to get a side by side but Virginia won't let you drive them on roads in his state.

[​IMG]
  10. kev the builder

your lucky to have 30 acres to ride my house stands on 1/4 of an acre thats a lot for the uk as i live in a small rural village running a quad or bike around the garden rips the shit out the lawn