1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

As we all know, Trabant indicator switches are not self-cancelling. I have been embarrassed on a few occasions when not cancelling when I should have and I have now decided to fit an audible warning buzzer. I found this 12v one on eBay UK for £4.00 delivered. I adapted the fitting instructions as two red positive leads are not needed. Just fit the black wire to a suitable earth, and just one of the red leads to the wire from the central terminal on the flasher unit (test it with bared end of red wire if uncertain). This will operated the buzzer in time with the flasher and you will never forget to cancel again! /www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252651891201

trabbi buzzer.jpg
    turbofiat124 likes this.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Great idea. Have you wired it up yet?

Mine is 6 volts so I'm not sure if this would work unless I add another step up converter in place going to the buzzer. That thing is called a Pizeo buzzer. Usually they are rated at for a wide range of voltage (like 3 to 24 VDC).

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1536&bih=734&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=Qjq9WoGLOuqLjwSjv5OoDA&q=piezo buzzers&oq=piezo buzzers&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i24k1.1698.3538.0.4104.13.12.0.0.0.0.146.1032.9j2.11.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.11.1030...0i30k1.0.K3wmeXjd9xE

My biggest issue is not being able to see the indicator in the speedometer. I have to lean forward to see it. I could understand if I were short but I'm almost 6 foot tall.

I have the same issue with my Fiat Spider but that's because I have a MOMO steering wheel which is narrower which blocks the bottom of the speedo and tach. On both cars I thought about placing some flat washers as shims between the steering column support bracket and the dash and use some longer bolts. It's a simple thing to do. As to why I have not gotten around to it on the Spider I don't know. I guess because there are more pressing things to do on my Trabant!

Not sure if this is possible on the Trabbi.

Same deal with the Citroen 2CV. Except this in this case, those crazy French put the indicators below the speedometer! In this video, the owner has installed got some weird toggle switch but on mine the oil pressure and brake warning lights are in the same location. But there is enough space to relocate to lights.

I've been meaning to relocate the main/high beam and turn signal indicator above these two lights so I can see them better. I just haven't figured out how to get the shroud off. It comes off just enough for me to reach behind the cluster to replace the bulb but not enough to get access to the back of the bulbs.

[​IMG]
  3. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Yes I have wired it up and it works great. Took me about 5 minutes. Like I said you will never forget to cancel your indicator again as it is quite loud and intrusive. I suppose I could make it quieter by mounting the buzzer in the engine compartment but I'm just glad I won't be embarrassed again. It should work with 6v if the range is 3-24v but I haven't tried it out other than with 12v.