Barkas car hauler

Barkas item created by Bountyflyer, Jul 7, 2015

1. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

2. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

That is awesome!!! is it here state-side? If so, I guess that puts you up to 2 Barkases (or is the plural of Barkas "Barki"?)
  3. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

You are living the dream my man, just awesome!
  4. Bountyflyer

Thank you guys! It's actually came with a parts van. I parked the parts Barkas next to my other parts van at my brothers place. The car hauler will be here at state side in a week or so. I'm excited about it for sure!

image.jpg

image.jpg
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

How salvageable are those vans? Like the one on your car hauler? Wouldn't mind just having the body and installing a Fiat or Yugo drivetrain it...
  6. Bountyflyer

Why would you do that? Those engines are worst then any Barkas engine! The body is not too bad actually...

They both have running original engines, just a little dirty inside.....
  7. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I was offered 1½ barkas flatbed wich was intended for a car hauler, but the guy never got around building it. :)
    I think it is still there, but i dont have room for a project like that at the moment, but i really want a barkas van, bus or car hauler. :)
  8. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Are these vans a nightmare to find parts for? I'd love to have one. Other option is a Ford falcan cabover van.
  9. Bountyflyer

A Barkas doesn't look like much, but it's an advanced collector car. The factory is long gone and you cant see any of them in service anymore. Parts are getting thrown away on a daily bases. Those who keep them want a return on their investment. Just an example: I was very very happy to be able to find a NEW not aftermarket master cylinder for $90!

If you would like to buy one, I would buy an over restored one for lots of money, then I would be very careful when I would use it.

OR

buy a junk, change the brakes and front suspension, install a Jetta engine with a VW trans, install an AC and drive the hell out of it, but then where is the 2stroke pleasure and the feeling that when you step on the brake it will pull right or left depends on it's mood....

To be honest, you will sink in at least $10000 before it will run right. So I would find a real nice one for that money...

It's not a relatevly common Trabant or Wartburg...
  10. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

I got one stateside.an 83.what year jetta motor and tranny is the easiest.or vw diesel.working on the 2 stroke this weekend.she's turning over but no spark I think.starter fluid not getting it to pop
  11. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

Love the car hauler.I'm in north Florida.and everybody including myself wanna see this thing going down the road.best purchase in a while.
  12. Bountyflyer

Do you have a picture of yours? Where did you get it from?

Do not use starter fluid! It will brake the wirst pin bearings. It won't start probably because of ignition problems. The engine's ignition is the same as a Wartburg's. So first set up the ignition properly, clean the spark plugs and make sure that it gets fuel. It will start up I'm sure.
  13. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

Yeah just a few cranks with the starter fluid and knew I had a spark issue.Will try and get some pictures uploaded.i will let ya know how it goes.50 to 1 on the fuel mixture is what I'm going with.the plug wires looked funny to me.one popped off and I stripped it back and it looked like string in the middle.I see no conductor.that is confusing me a bit.bought it from a guys estate sale in alabama.pretty solid body.rust in the rocker on back passenger door.easy fixings.not sure of its history yet.
  14. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

15. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

There she is.let me know what u think about the plug wire deal.thanks that may be my spark issue
  16. Bountyflyer

Please open up a new discussion about your Barkas and I'll help you trouble soot.

Go under Barkas label or post your picture in the garage and we will go from there.

Thanx
  17. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

Will do.it'll be tomorrow morning.heading out of town to work.thanks brother
  18. Bountyflyer

The ignition wires have brass core in them. You can cut less then a 1/4 inch off the end of them and try to screw the end on again. The coil side should have a small screw holding a brass U shaped connector on, and on the spark plug side it should just screw off easy.

If it has been changed to a newer version or soeone tried to fit any coil from an American car on it, it won't work. The original coils are lot smaller then the normal US coils.

Be careful not to leave the ignition on for too long because you will fry the coils in a hurry
  19. Bountyflyer

Please also check if the ignition plate is original with three points or is it a new electronic ignition. If you look under the bus from the front, you will see a white or black plastic cover over a round housing at the end of the crankshaft. Take the two screws off then pry the plastic cover off without braking it. It supposed to cover the ignition housing water tight.... Try not to brake it! (I did broke mine once)...
  20. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

Hey i really appreciate you talking to me about all this.yeah there no u shaped connectors where the plug wires hit the coils.it does have 3 seperate coils for each plug.the little srew on connector that screws on to coils are there.but the wire just slides in and out of the little caps.so there is a where my problem probably lies.i havent looked at the ignition coil on the crank.there was a spare one with a red cap that came with it.the one one the van has a white cap.