Barkas car hauler

Barkas item created by Bountyflyer, Jul 7, 2015

1. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

I will be home saturday and can lay hands on it.im sure i can adapt an old school plug wire maybe to get some spark.any suggestions i am a brakes and front end guy.but im an electrician by trade.it doesnt look to complicated.the 2
  2. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

I need to know the answers to my questions, I can't help you unless I know what you got. Please read my last post and tell me what you got first. Ignition timing is a compecated thing on this engine..
  3. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

ok i just got home.about to go look.
  4. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

5. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

i noticed after closer looking that inside the coil where the wire goes in there is a small sharp contact that stabs into the wire.2 of the coils have that sharp contact.one does not.it looks as though maybe it broke off at some point or corroded away.im guessing new coil will be in order.also on the same plug wire that little washer is missing which seems as though it just is a seal
    Bountyflyer likes this.
  6. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

i found a 2 stroke type coil on for a motorcycle on ebay.im thinking that might work.
  7. Bountyflyer

It looks like you got the original coils with an electronic ignition setup. Thats good, the problem is if you put the wrong coil on the electronic ignition it will burn up in a hurry. For this setup you will need to find an original coil, or a 12V aand 4Ohm dry coil. If you have oil in it, it will fry up because part of the coil won't be in the internal oil bath. If the coil you've found on ebay aint 4 Ohm you are scrued. It will burn up one of the ignition units and you will run on 2 cylinders in no time. A new electronic ignition is about $85 plus shipping from Germany.

You got it, the little washer is for insulation only.

I would recommend to order 3 new coils with the original wires. The other problem is that if you are using electronic ignition then you will need to change the spark plug wire ends from metal to non metal ones. The original metal spark plug wire "plug" has a small resistor in it what will also burn the electronic ignition... This is the hart of the engine.

I would not use 1:50 mixture! Please use 1:40 and with appropriate amount of led substitude. The engine is very very weak if you not treat it right it will brake very easily.

Your new purchase might not look like much, but after what I went thru with mine, it's safe to say that it's an advanced collector car! I'm not sure what are you willing to put into it, but to make it to a "daily driver" it will cost at least $15000 or more! I got about $13000 in my van and it's still not done. There are NO parts at State side, the car parts store only has air freshener and may be some oil for your engine, but nothin else. In Europe it's starting to be the same way. Nobudy uses these vans anymore therefore no parts made for them. Even if you change the engine and trans, you will still end up paying big money for everything else. A Barkas is like a Brittish car. It's either just broke, or it will brake After the next corner. So good luck to you sir!

I have manuals and parts books, and sucking with these wans for at least 7 years by now. I'm here to help you, so just keep on send me your questions. This is my hobby and nice to see that now we got 7 of these things in the US! (What I know of)
  8. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

im up for the challenge.i will definetly be asking you questions from time to time to time.will do on the plug wires and dry coils 4 ohm.they were old british motorcycle coils for 2 stroke engines i saw on ebay..i will research it more or just order ones from ldm tuning.do you recommend them.ldm tuning that is.i am pretty patient and dont plan on giving up to easy on this van.i have a nice high and dry spot for it.is there one parts place you recommend over another.gotta do brakes and all those kinda been sitting up to long things.will ty and get these thing running on the 2 stroke.if not doing the vw swap.i know a fairly good german mechanic type fella that is up for the task.is there one vw engine swap over another u recommend.and tranny of course.but i hope to push through with this motor
  9. Bountyflyer

I have never ordered anything from Germany so I can't help you there. I'm from Hungary so when I go back to visit, I just buy everything I can get my hands on...

The best VW engine to use is a 2001 Passat with the trans together. On that car the engine is oriented from the front to the back, not sideways. It should fit nicely. Make sure that it's manual trans. The original tranny is crap so I wouldn't recommend to use a nice engine with the Barkas Trans.... It barely can take the two stroke.... By the way, there is a dipstick on the transmission, please check the oil level!

I just sprayed my car houler, you can see detailes here:

http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/fixing-up-the-barkas-carhauler.2417/#post-15685
  10. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

i truly thank you for your time for talking to me,next time were in texas i gotta come see that car hauler.
  11. barkas maybe

barkas maybe Newbie

So the picture u saw of my ignition system u think it's definitely been changed over to the electronic ignition.I'm about to order coils and wire.wires I have now have brass leads on the plug side.so do away with those type and get the ones with plastic insulators where it plugs into the spark plug.I'm guessing the ones with the brass insulators have the resistor in them that can burn up the electronic point system .and yeah the coils I found 12 volt 4 ohm dry coil.made for triumph motorcycles old 2 stroke.they even have the screw on connectors and the little seal washer that goes into the coil.
  12. Bountyflyer

That all sounds good! But remember, we don't know if the electronic ignition really works or not. They tend to fry themselfs if you use the wrong parts. You can see if you turn the engine will the ground signal go to the the coil? I'm not exactly sure how to test this without burning anything up.... My manuals don't have any info on electronic ignition....
  13. Bountyflyer