1. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Other then mine this is the first and only Barkas I've found in the States! You can see the ad on Ebay type in Barkas and look under vehicles. It doesn't have all the papers, but based on my import experience, it's doable. A bit over priced, but try to find an other one. They are despairing by the day... plus all of them are used up and rotten to dust...

Do you know about any other Barkas in the US or Canada? I'd love to know about them!
  2. Jon Kjaerulff

Jon Kjaerulff Newbie

I have a 1986 B1000 Fire Truck here in Gig Harbor, WA. Until recently, I thought I had the only one in the US! Mine has no official paperwork, and is off the road until I replace the clutch and brakes.

Jon
  3. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I was surprised to see the Barkas on eBay as well. Someone really wants one to be willing to pay that much. I see them quite often on ebay.de for around the $2,000 to $3,000 price range (of course you would have some added cost to have it shipped over).

I wonder if the seller hasn't put in a ghost bid himself to try to get people to bid on the car. I think that is what keeps happening with the Trabant P50 that is for sale on Florida. It keeps showing ups for sale. It receives at least one bid, looks like it sells, and shows up for sale again a few weeks later...something is fishy!
  4. Bountyflyer

It's great to hear that now we have at least 3 Barkas(es?) in th US! Any picture of the fire truck?! Do you have the missing parts? (clutch and brake) I have a "floating" Barkas paper. What kind a papers do you have with it?

The ebay Barkas seller has a classic car repair facility and he was very confident in an ebay repply to me that he could re manufacture all the missing paces for his quite sad looking Barkas. He must have a CNC machine and a parts duplicator, because most of the staff brakes, made out of plastic...

The price is not too far out by the way, I haven't sold mine for $11000 recently. It wasn't advertised, just a local collector wanted for his motorcycle collection. Comparing to the one on ebay, mine has clear Texas title, and new engine, brakes, tires, radiator, hubcaps, old metal door handels etc... Just try to buy a comparable VW van. They are expensive! And if you buy a VW then you will see 3 others at any car shows... Plus a VW has a rear engine what greatly reduces it's utility. If you can't tell by now, I love my Barkas...

Will see where the Barkas from Prague ends up...
  5. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

Why is there no direct link to ebay in this topic? ;)

When I see that prices, I'm quite happy to live in Europe - even though in Switzerland it's quite hard and expensive to register an East German vehicle.
  6. Bountyflyer

Justin likes this.
  7. Jon Kjaerulff

Jon Kjaerulff Newbie

Here are some recent pictures. I don't have any of the required spare parts, yet. I was planning to order from LDM, unless anyone has a better suggestion. As for paperwork, all I have is some official looking East German documents which I can't read! I am not 100% sure this vehicle was ever subjected to all of the "formalities" when it entered the US. I purchased it in 2005 sight unseen on EBAY, for $3,500.00. The seller said it was in excellent condition and could "drive anywhere," which I thought was a total crock at the time, and proved to be correct. It came home on a dolly. I bought it knowing it probably needed work because I really wanted a Barkas, and figured, how hard could it be to fix it up?

It has now sat in my barn for almost eight years, waiting for me to have the time. I am currently using it to hold lumber. I do start it up now and then, and she runs just fine, but the clutch and brakes have seized up through lack of use and movement. It also needs a new steering wheel.. The one it has works, but appears at one point to have melted....

I would really benefit from an English version of a shop manual, or even a German one, as these things appear very hard to find. I already feel lucky to have learned that there are other people in this country who know and love the Barkas. I may still be crazy, but at least I'm not the only one!

Attached Files:

8. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

You will find everything you need (all german workshop manuals) in the Yahoo-Barkas-Group: de.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/barkasb1000/

The forum of that group seems not to used frequently anymore though. But there is quite a vivid forum available under www.barkas.de

There are a lot of (mostly Hungarian) replica parts available at quite low prices with Janos from http://www.autoteile-solimpex.de. He speaks German and (as I suppose because of his name) Hungarian. Maybe, Bountyflyer might translate ;-)

The steering wheel can be replaced by a Wartburg model. The latest PUR-versions are often sold at very low prices.
  9. Bountyflyer

I'm in Hungary right now, an will try to find some Barkas parts for mine, like two new rims... I also have an other Barkas here for parts, but in the last few years this van got so rare that I think I'll restore the van instead of using it for parts. It become super hard to find ANYTHING racently. So if you ever want to fix yours up don't wait. Parts shops are literally throed out all the remained parts because suddanly nobody was looking for them! I had have friends look for the correct brake parts for two weeks for me... I have noumerous friends in the car parts business here, I could help, but so far I only had bad experiences trying to help others. "No good deed goes unpunished" So (so far) I've concentrated collecting parts for myself to keep mine running for years to come. Right now mine runs great! I use it at least once a week....

I have a shop manual in Hungarian. If you want I can find you an other one, or make a copy of the electrical circet drawing. It's a bit hard to read thru... Hand drawn by the Germans...

Or if you stuck with a problem, I could translate the revelent parts out of the manual for you.

So the only thing I would recommend if you want to get it running, don't wait, the parts are desappearing as we speak. This is a small country, and very few people values Barkas Wartburg or Trabant parts here anymore.

Good source of parts are www.vatera.hu type in the search barkas.... This is sort of a Hungarian ebay, but it's hard to pay for an item because they are always asking for a Hungarian mailed postal check, or bank transfare. Most of the sellers are cheating dirt bags, sometimes they don't even have the part what they are advertising! This is why I mostly ask my Brother to meet with the sellers and pay cash upon getting the part... The problem is that my Brother is not a car guy so he doesn't know the difference between a banana and a banana plug....

I have a source for new remanufactures exhaust and hubcaps! I also can get very high quality Wartburg reman crank assy! Not fo Trabis thru... Those are gone...
  10. Bountyflyer

About your paers, the German title is useless unless you have a bill of landing and an EPA celarnance. There are other ways of fixing your papers thru. Try to go in to your DMV's web site and look for untitled vehicles or just go in and ask. In Texas you can take it to a policeman or some other places and get the vin traced by a pencil onto a form, and you can apply for a "bonded title". This lets you use it and sort of own it but if the last owner shows up you have to give it back. Since the odds are that G√ľnter won't fly across the pond to clame his fire truck, you would be in good shape.... Then after a few years you can get a normal title. Just don't ever mention that it hasn't been titled in the US. And it's year made has to be over 25. They wouldn't know this anyway... Look at the thing! 1960's written on it all over!

So just say the title got lost and you'd like to drive it... I'm pretty sure there is a way in WA as well, just got to find it!

I used to live in Spokane for a short while. We've got married there too, but after not seeing the sun for 5 months strait, we've moved to Hawaii...
  11. Jon Kjaerulff

Jon Kjaerulff Newbie

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful info. I am more motivated than ever to get going and will start to acquire the needed parts.

Do you live in Hawaii now? My wife and I will be in Maui next month.

Safe Travels and thanks for all the help.

Jon
  12. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

He lives in Houston now, he's about 2 and a half hours from me.

Maui will be a great trip though, have fun!
  13. JASONCHAD

The Barkas is back on eBay. Looks like the new starting price is $10,000...Still too steep for me.
  14. Bountyflyer

Sorry, Hawaii was a while ago.... I live in Houston now.

I just leaving Hungary. I got a bunch of brake rebuild kits for my Barkas, I think I can help you out getting some as well. Looks like there is a manufacturer who makes master cylinder and wheel cylinder rebulild kits locally. I got the stores email and a way to get them to the US.

I also bought a new rim (NOS) to replace my spare wobally one!

I got the seat new cover appholstery and an orriginal yellow flashing light! You know with the bulb stationary and a mirror turning around the bulb...

Found new brake hoses and I've seen a bunch of NOS side doors and door hinges.

All of these are dessapearing fast...

Will write more once home,

Cheers,

Peter
  15. JASONCHAD

The eBay listing ends in about 2 1/2 hours...if anyone was planning on putting in a bid...It will be interesting to see if the price comes down on the next listing.
  16. Bountyflyer

The seller is so far up in his ass that I don't think he will let the price down. Based on it's condition and the fact that is only has a bill of landing, I would say it's not worth more then $4-5000. But something value colud be determened by how much someone is willing to pay for it...
  17. JASONCHAD

That is what I was thinking...I would probably place a bid at the $4,000 mark (of course if I won the bid my wife would probably divorce me.)
  18. Nick Barkas

Nick Barkas Puttering Along

My name is Barkas but my father was from Greece. His father and mother were Greek. What is the Barkas vehicle name origin? I imagine it is a person but it really does not sound German which I took in high school. Maybe it is Hungarian from the German area of Hungary. I would love to see a Barkas B1000 but seems to be as rare as an outdoor live palm tree in Ohio in January. Let me know if you hear of any in Ohio, thanks.
  19. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I have wondered that myself. I did some looking around online just now and it is the Germanized writing of the Phoenician/Punic word for "thunderbolt". You can see it in the chrome emblem in the van's grille actually now that I realize the meaning of the word. I don't have proof of this part, but it seems clear to me it is meant to be a direct reference to the Opel "Blitz", which also means "thunderbolt" in German and is the transport vehicle they were trying to replace.