1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

How similar to a wartburg? I have an english manual for a wartburg but only german for barkas. Also how difficult a gearbox are they? Would an irish mechanic used to vintage gearboxes be able to repair one.
    I have two boxes one has bad reverse and differential and the other has bad first and second gear. I was wondering if i could get one transmission built from the two bad ones
  2. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Most likely not. The Barkas gearbox is not for the faint harted. It needs special tools and knowlage. There are hidden nuts and if you never done one before you will brake valuable parts.

I would buy a used one from Germany or a new one from Hungary if they still have one somewhere. I know a guy who used to make a living rebuilding gear boxes. He probably could make one out of the two but even he probably would have to buy some extra parts.

If you give your transmissions to your mechanic, you have basically nothing to loose. If he can fix it without braking it, you will know that he is a champ! If not, you still need to buy an other one anyway.
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Thanks i already bought a correct used one but when i fitted it it turned out to be scrap. I am modifying another gearbox at minute (that came from my spares van) from cable to hydraulic clutch which i hope will work.
  4. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Forum Donor

Bad gearboxes seem to be a common theme. I am repairing mine, which pops out of fourth. Still somewhat undecided how I'm doing it, but I am looking at buying a used one from eBay.de. I'll take lots of pictures and post a step by step online when I do it.
  5. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Be very careful my 'reconditioned ' box i bought turned out to be a scrap one someone had carefully cleaned and sold . The b1000 gearbox seems to be weak and fail a lot
  6. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Forum Donor

That's the only reason I'm hesitating. He wants 350€ which is a bargain if it's perfect, but a ton of money if it has the same problem.
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Tough one when shipping to america will cost so much. I have bought a lot of parts from german ebay and also obviously british ebay. I have found all the germans to be honest and accurate when describing items. Not so good with the british . That is my personal experience