1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Lasse

Lasse Newbie

My Trabant has a black grill, I have seen a few other original cars with black grills but can’t find any info on how common they were or if it was a random feature. Anyone sitting on info regarding this?
    Thanks!
  2. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Is it made of metal like most Trabant 601s? If so maybe someone just painted it black to be different.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

My Trabant seems to be the only one I've seen with black headlamp rings. I thought this was normal when I got mine. I didn't know they were supposed to color coded to the car. I've gotten so used to the look I plan on having them powder coated gloss black.
  4. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

5. Lasse

Lasse Newbie

This is car number 200.000 delivered in Hungary with black grills and black headlights. The exact year is not stated but it should be late 70 or early 80.

Attached Files:

6. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

7. turbofiat124

Interesting. First time I've seen another Trabant with black headlamp rings. Whether it came from the factory that way or if repainted by the owner. Mine is a 1981 model. Caleb's Trabant is also a 1981 model. Both of our cars were sent to Hungary.
    Both of ours has the silver grill but his has the car color coorodinated headlight rings.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  8. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I painted my previous 601's headlamp rings black, and I think I will do the same on my present 601. It just looks better in my opinion, and I have a couple of spare grills which I might experiment with to see if I like the color change. I also like the horizontal side body stripe on car no. 200.000 as photo above by Lasse. Maybe I'll do that also.
  9. RogerDerSchrauber

According to folks I know who grew up there, such things as initials, black headlight rings, etc. were added to distinguish your Trabi from the other hundreds of papyrus white ones in the parking lots.
    Steve likes this.
  10. turbofiat124

Thanks what VAdoc told me when I mentioned mine had black headlight rings. Makes sense. I'm going to have mine powder coated gloss black. Whenever I remove the front grill. It scratches the paint.
  11. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

The works dept. prep'd 800RS and 600RS models HAD the matt black front grilles as standard, to denote them...and dare I say make them look more The part" for the 80's rally scene?... Some owners' obviously liked the look of the RS cars and made some grilles look the same, by painting them, on their cars, I guess, "over the years". View attachment 5274

Attached Files:

12. RogerDerSchrauber

It's really hard to say. These cars have been around for a long time. Anybody could have done anything to them along the way.

The grill on mine is aluminum, but the background underneath, on an otherwise papyrus white front piece ("Attrappe" in German), is black. Looks like it came from the factory that way.
  13. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I think the black background behind an aluminium grill was to maybe make the car look a little more "normal" like it was cooled by a radiator sitting behind the grill instead of actually having a small hole for a cold air vent and fan assisted cooling from the side. Otherwise, why would you even need a grill, as was the P50 design.