1. Stuart-C

Stuart-C Puttering Along

I changed the fan/alternator belt today as the old one was cracking and slack. Since replacing it I have noticed the car is making a whirring noise when revved and seems slower when driving. It is also less happy to idle properly from cold. A y Ideas what I could have done wrong or moved by accident?
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

The belt could be slipping at high revs to make a noise, check that first. If it's not slipping, Take the belt off and spin the alternator to see if it is making noise or seems hard to spin, that would indicate a problem there. I can't think of a good reason why a belt would affect performance unless it is not allowing the alternator to charge the system and your spark is falling off. But then you would notice major difficulty starting the engine in the first place. Let some others with more Trabi-specific experience chime in on this.
    Jeff of many Wartburgs (and one Chevelle)
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Gotta be able to push in the belt with your thumb, a little less than an inch. Otherwise, too much tension burns out the alternator. (Did it once, years ago, on a 1962 Plymouth. Glowed bright red!) Too little, and your hear it squealing and slipping when you turn it on and hit the gas. Sounds like it's not tight enough.

Not sure about the idle or the lack of acceleration. Perhaps it could be other problems that cropped up as well?

Also, is it the right belt for the car? For Trabants, they're all the same, but could it be a belt for a different car? Some belts are too deep or have the wrong profile. One finds out, when it slips off, usually on the highway in the rain....