1. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

The original 395-mile Cobe Cup race on July 19, 1909, and predates the first racing program at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway by a month, and the first Indianapolis 500 by two years. The race course was 23.27 miles per lap and wound through Crown Point, Lowell, and Cedar Lake, Indiana. The annual rally is on May 28, 2011 this year. At the Lake County Fair Grounds cars gather in a car show setting under the tall oaks and drive part of the original race course to a site in Lowell for Imbis, awards, and conclusion. In 2009 4 Trabants participated from Indiana and Illinois. Contact Eric trabant_indiana@yahoo.com
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

This sounds like a really fun event, it might be something I make the trek for next year!
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

There are several pictures posted in the yahoo group of the year we had 4 Trabants present. Larry and I each recruited a non Trabant USA member. I plan to be there each year. Still trying to get them to include a odd ball, survivor, or wierd class to their little competition that is a sidebar attraction of the event (the reason that there is a participation fee). I will keep trying and keep you posted.
    Have fun,
    Eric
  4. Justin

Well the squeaky wheel gets greased. So if you keep bugging them about it, maybe they will just give in.
  5. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Perhaps next spring we can get 5 or more Trabants there to take over.
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Someone noted in an email to me that I was off by a year, on my five year plan that is. They are right. 2014 is the year to match or beat 4 Trabants at the Cobe Cup. Any interest?
  7. Justin

I wonder how far of a drive that would be from here.....Probably long enough that it would merit a trailer.....how soon after this event is the actual race?
  8. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

The drive, on a portion of the 1909 route, is at noon from Crown Point. A car show that starts at 10am (at the start line) concludes at the destination, a park in Lowell. The roads are mostly closed by police. The visitor's bureau convinced the organizers to route the drive off of the original course to go past a park to stimulate attendance at that park and interest in the park. It is mentioned on the website.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Here is my trailer. You, and anyone else can park trailers at my place. IMG_20130728_174706.jpg
    Justin likes this.
  10. Justin

That is a great trailer!
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

thanks Justin. It has tire tracks on it now. Trabant fits on nicely and chained down at the jack points. No other straps or chain needed.
  12. Justin

Well tire tracks are to be expected.
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

They look great on there. From oil drips to deep scratches, it will have it all.