1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I'd like to put an oval speaker in that gaping holes in the dashboard. The radio I have is an "old school" Fujitsu from a late 70s, early 80s Toyota. So I don't need a high dollar speaker just as long as it puts out enough sound. I measured that an oval speaker 8" X 3" would fill the hole perfectly.

I'm having issues trying to find a car speaker that size. I have found some vintage TV speakers which might fit. I think is what I have in my 68 Ford and it sounds OK. Trouble is finding a grill to cover it.

I found this one for a Mercedes which might fit but hate to spend $125 for such a cheap radio.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/221844163389
  2. hunterknox

hunterknox Premium Member Forum Donor

No suggestions but great idea. I just put a Bluetooth speaker on the shelf, which works well enough for me.
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Try a junkyard?
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

A custom grill probably wouldn't be too hard to make but would be time consuming. My idea was to take a piece of aluminum sheet metal and just drill a series of 1/8" holes in it in the shape of an oval then paint it black. Aluminum would be easier and faster being a softer metal. I'd need to do it at work one night because we have a drill press with a vice that moves in four directions using two wheels. That would be easier than trying to use my drill press or a cordless drill.

I did have a set of grills from a Fiat X 1/9 that might work if I could only find them!

They make a stereo speaker to replace single dash speakers. Here is a Ford speaker that is supposed to go in my 69 to 73 Mustang and would probably fit my 68 Fairlane. But would probably be too big to fit a Trabant. There are tons of these out there for American cars but they never tell the dimensions. Just what they fit. Like that is going to help me.

[​IMG]
  5. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

:) That is what I am planning on doing. I have a step down transformer that kicks out 5v with a 6v input so with that and a USB hub I should be able to keep the bluetooth speaker and phone charged whilst driving.

If the bluetooth speaker is not loud enough then I have some old amplified PC speakers that I can try. The PSU is rated at 9v but the speakers work fine with a 6v PSU.
  6. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Ready perforated aluminium sheet or grill mesh? If you have an old (electric) oven lying around then it might have perforated steel sheet in it. The last one I dismantled did.