1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

I have just cosmetically restored a nice looking barometer that I picked up in a local charity shop for £1- . I think it was meant for the export market as it says "Made in GDR" on the dial face . It works well and goes nicely in my hallway. DSCF3513.JPG DSCF3512.JPG
    trabant601 and Wartburg353W like this.
  2. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

This is an awesome find. I have my eye on some DDR barometers but they are on walls in homes in former DDR. Thanks for sharing this, it is larger than I have ever seen one from GDR.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I notice it has a Farenheit scale on it. What other countries were using Farenheit during this era beside the United States? I'm sure these were not destined for the US market. I recall when I was in Britian around 2000, they would tell the temperature in Celcius then say, "That's ## degrees Farenheit" as if they were trying to ween people off the Farenheit scale or for folks still accustomed to using Farenheit.

I've got a couple of old thermometers from the 1960s that do not even list a Celcius scale!
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I found a French Barometer today for 4 bucks. It is attractive enough and reads correctly. I think that we are the last holdouts for metric use. I did a project with students a few years ago to try to get local media to use C next to F like international news does. No luck but some interesting responses. Some of my favorite barometers still have the mercury thermometer, a clear sign of their age.