1. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

This is a German language video. At around 12:50 there is a video of the "blue Trabant crash test" and then after that some information about offset frontal crash tests for the then current Ford Escord and Opel Vectra and a picture as to how the Trabant performed in a similar test. No prizes for guessing which car came out best. I'd not see these comparisons before so I found it interesting enough to post here.

If I understand correctly the Trabant was crashed with an impact speed 11.4% higher than the other two cars (the text says "impact energy" whilst the narrator says "impact speed").

Searching on "Auto 18.01.91 trabant offset-crash-test" (text from the video) turned up this document on the cartoontrabant.pl website which seems to be a summary of crash tests carried out in the early 1990s including the Trabant offset crash test shown in the video. http://cartoontrabant.pl/dokumentacje/trabant601_crash.pdf
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Willysjam42 and EasternBloc like this.
  2. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

Wow; this video is fantastic! Thanks for sharing! I think I've watched the slow-mo footage of the crash six times already and it still makes me cringe. I was explaining to friends how it feels a bit like driving an eggshell and this really backs that up.
  3. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

It is actually amazing how well the Trabant fares even without comparing it to the then modern cars from Ford, GM (and almost every other car shown in the pdf file). The Trabant bodyshell was designed in the early 60's (I suspect a modified version of the P50 bodyshell) at a time when safety and crash testing were not high on the agenda. Even more remarkable, the Trabant steel monocoque shell is effectively only half a shell that is only the inner wings are made of steel and the external Duroplast panels are glued/screwed and riveted in place. I guess that the Duroplast panels must contribute something to the crash test performance. Quite how Ford, GM and all the other manufacturers managed to make such death traps with all the resources available to them just shows how little the capitalist companies cared for the safety of their customers. Only compulsory crash testing with the results being published has produced a significant improvement in car safety.
  4. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Here are some more crash tests of other cars from the early 90's. They seem to be the same 50% offset crash test that the Trabant does so well in.

5. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Oh and one more video of 55km/h 50% offset crash tests from 1992. This is for cars in the class above the previous video. The results are surprisingly variable but the majority of cars come out worse than the Trabant in a similar test.

6. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Cool video. I didnt realize Trabis dont have shatter proof glass :eek: