1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Wonder what's the difference between 2 cycle oil and non detergent SAE-30 crankcase oil? Years ago before "2 cycle" oil was available, SAE-30 crankcase oil was what was mixed with the fuel.

So what's the difference? Is the actual 2 cycle oil less likely to separate from the fuel over time?

The Lucas semi-synthetic oil I've been using is a 20 weight. The Opti-2 which I have used in the past is a 100:1 mix and is the equivilant to a 40 to 50 weight crankcase oil.
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I think the main difference is how cleanly it burns. The Wikipedia entry says 2 stroke oil has a lower ash content and leaves less deposits as it burns. Any issues of differences in weight or such among various 2 stroke oils would go to what sort of engine/oiling system they are intended for. Pre-oiling system, outboard, yadda yadda.
  3. Keri

Keri Leader

seems to me the oil question has been bounced around a whole lot already…

Yes, many years ago, one mixed plain oil with gas for 2-cycle motors.
    Usually at something like a 16:1 ratio, or 6.3% which is a whole lot of oil.
    This massive amount of oil ensured lubrication, but caused massive amounts of deposit build-up and massive amounts of smoke, as well.
    If the pistons rings stick from deposit build-up, no amount of oil will save the pistons and bores.

The synthetic, or more honestly, "semi-synthetic" oils burn cleaner, reducing build-up and extending intervals between "decarbonizing". In addition, they can provide better lubrication.
    Oils specifically formulated for Air-Colled 2-cycle motors (rated TC) also are intended to reduce piston ring sticking.

A note on the "thin" 2-cycle oils… It is particularly important to never "lug" the motor at low RPM and high load.
    This is a really bad practice on any engine, but especially so on one with zero oil pressure, and 2% oil to fuel.
    The "thin" Semi-synthetic oil I've been using for the past 50,000km works well for me, but I am very conscientious about keeping the engine turning FAST ENOUGH to prevent "lugging".
    That is to say, I never apply heavy load to the motor at speeds under 3,000 rpm.
    This gives some observers the impression that I "race" the motor unnecessarily, but the high-quality semi-synthetic can handle high RPM lubrication.
    This topic also has been posted previously.

If one is intent upon running the motor at low RPM and full throttle, a heavier oil at higher percentage will slow down the inevitable damage to the crank, if not the rings.
    Andrew likes this.