1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I have never done a spark plug but I did buy an ultra cheap Chinese M8 helicoil kit off Ebay . I didn't think it would last more than one use but I have used it 5 times now so well worth the fiver I paid.
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

The trick to helicoiling the head in situ is to remove the other plug also and then to give the engine a good crank over which should blow any scarf out the exhaust any remaining will just burn off
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Not worth the risk though in my opinion when removing the head takes less than 10 minutes
  4. Matthew Byrom

Matthew Byrom Newbie

You know what, I bought this little motor to be able to do the work myself, learn it's workings & do my bit to preserve a little piece of History.

There's a kit on Amazon for less than a tenner. Same goes for the Head gasket, amazingly... I'll give it a go myself.

Agree with mbeamish, I'd take the head off, plus I can check the innards. I can bring the head into my cosy front room too!

How hard can it be?..... :rolleyes:
  5. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Have a go ,if it goes wrong you can always buy another head . I was pleasantly surprised by my Chinese tap kit . I really thought it would be made of cheese but it worked (and kept working) Put a little oil on tap while you are cutting . If you want to be posh you can buy aerosols of cutting/tapping fluid
  6. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

When you,ve helicoiled the head sometimes you get a bit of a blow through the thread if you do it soon stops as it seals with carbon
  7. Matthew Byrom

Matthew Byrom Newbie

I don't think anyone would accuse me of being posh! :D

Kit ordered, but it's taking its time. Hope to attempt the job this weekend. If not, there's lots of little jobs to do.
  8. Keri

Keri Leader

If you are removing the head, it is necessary to torque the headbolts to 42Nm, crisscross, and in stages. For this, you will need a torque wrench.

It is a better idea to repair the threads with the head off, as the metal particles can score the piston and cylinder.
    Most likely, they will get flushed out the exhaust quickly, but there is the chance.

Most auto parts stores should have a spark plug thread repair kit.
    It is a 14mm x 1.25 thread, like most cars, and is the "short" thread length for a gasket seat.

A spark plug holds in considerable pressure under high heat and vibration.
    This means that the traditional "spring" type helicoil thread insert is not the best solution.
    A better repair can be made with an insert specially made for spark plug hole repair.
    You can buy the kit and do it yourself, or, if you have the head off, any automotive machine shop can do this for you.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.