1. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Here is the Youtube of the story that aired today on DW.

Very good story, what do you think?
  2. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

I saw this video a few months ago. It's pretty good, actually! They mention, but don't fall into the trap of complaining about the car being cheap or unreliable. You have to understand this car within the context of the times. The P50 was in many ways groundbreaking - duroplast is a pretty cool material, front-wheel drive/transverse mount engine, rack and pinion steering - those things were unheard of in the 1950s. The redesign of the 601 was special in its own sense... and after that, well... I agree with the video that this car represents a lot of what is wrong with centralized planning. Had Sachsenring been able to continue to innovate and improve the car, I think it'd still be around and well respected.
    trabant601 likes this.
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I agree with you. Had they made the prototype changes and updated things with the times; the car would not have attained cult status or its allure as an iconic symbol of the DDR. The fact that the changes didn't happen are more entertaining when one studies the Trabant or the DDR. The lessons on the dictatorship of the SED are endless.