1. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

1901796_462347403893660_569243502_n.jpg
    Friends and relatives from East and West Germany could meet in Hungary- usually at Lake Balaton.
    Herman, frogbros and trabant601 like this.
  2. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

There is still a Trabant meet for the Trabant Wartburg club Hungary. My friend is the organizer.

I remember seeing many Germans at Balaton. The summer is generally cold and windy in Germany, so Hungary was a perfect option for Germans from both side to come and recriate. Also we had many visitors from Holland as well. I've seen many Trabants towing Würdig campers or have tents on the roof. Most of the East Germans had low standards for living conditions so as long as there was a camping, a tent, mud, beer and girls, they were just fine...

A picture of a Würdig camper:

image.jpg
    trabant601 likes this.
  3. Bountyflyer

Two years ago we went to Lake Balaton. Rented a sail boat (not the one on the picture). Had lots of fun.

My wife told me, if this boat would be mine, then non of my friends would find it.... By the way, it's an East German made boat....

image.jpg
    trabant601 likes this.
  4. Bountyflyer

An other picture of a very old church from Lake Balaton. Because of the tourism the whole place is a tourist trap. Any time a Trabant showes up, you can see tears in the ex Eastern tourists eyes...

Thanx for the first picture, brought back lots of memories!

image.jpg
  5. Bountyflyer

I also remembered to a song about driving to the Balaton.... And the freshly opened freeway between Budapest and Balaton. The commy government didn't have money to finish the road, so they only finished one side, then on Friday you only could drive to the Lake, and from mid Sunday only could drive towrds Budapest. The road was a disaster! It was made out of prefab concrete blocks just like the old Route 66... The difference was Route 66 is still drivable after 70 years... They had to recover the M7 long time ago... It shook apart any car driven on it... Pa bang - Pa bang, Pa bang - Pa bang for 2 hours...Look at this old film with all the cars mixed together between visiting westerners and local Eastern cars.... They advised the driving public not to use the road for joy riding, or braking in newly rebuilt engines......

The work has begun in 1966 and the half freeway fas finished by 1971...both sides finished by 74. The little yellow car is a Steyer Puch made in Austria, not a Fiat 500.... It was in service for helping broken down motorists. So as some car carriig Barkases with dual axels on the back. The song at the end is from a band called Prognozis. They are singing about a driver who should relax in the trafic jam, you will get to the Balaton eventually... And half way you can stop for lunch and take it easy... (Thats where the folk music comes on).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    trabant601 likes this.
  6. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Hahaha ..love the name of the boat, reminds me of the Sex Pistols song " friggin in the riggin " ahahahaha :D:D
    trabant601 likes this.
  7. Bountyflyer

I guess now I could re create the picture above with the Trabant and the Mercedes next to each other. I got both!
    Justin likes this.