1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I don't know where this belongs so I will post it here.

I bought this Ushanka from an army surplus supplier about 10 years ago:

[​IMG]

It's supposed to be an East German military Ushanka. It does not say DDR on it anywhere. It did have a plastic label with some numbers in the head liner but it fell off. I retired it for the season back in April and told my wife to wash it and I think it should have been dry cleaned instead because when I tried it on a few minutes ago there didn't feel like there was any insulation between the inner and outer layers on top. So it may have disintegrated. Although if it was a military item meant to be worn in the field then it should have made it through the wash. I doubt the miltary would actually dry clean things maybe with the exception of formal uniforms not intended to be worn in the field.

The main reason I bought it was winter . Here in East Tennessee it doesn't get that cold and typically I can get by with a pair of jeans, flannel shirt, army jacket and no head gear in January but it sures feels nice when the temperature drops into the 20s (F). Then people start asking me, "Where did you get that hat?" since not even military surplus stores sell them due to our climate.

Any idea if this is a surplus item from the DDR or they just said it was? The hat did have the compass symbol emblem pin on the front. There is a lot of military items on Ebay from the DDR era so it's quite possible.
  2. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Yes it is from the DDR. I bought about 5 of them at one time...I found that they were too itchy to wear so I gave one to my son and got rid of the rest of them. There are two types of DDR pins that were typically attached to the front. One was just a small circle the size of a quarter with the DDR emblem, the other was a bit larger and more flowery.
  3. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Ushanka, you say? Best piece of headwear I've ever bought…
  4. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I have one in a box somewhere complete with the Russian Hammer and Sickle. I may have to dig for it as some point.
  5. Cold-War-Charlie

Cold-War-Charlie Von Trabi Forum Donor

Here are mine although the one on the right is Czech.

[​IMG]
    trabant601 likes this.
  6. Keri

Keri Leader

I don't have any ushankas! У меня нет ушанка!

Maybe I should get one?
  7. Cold-War-Charlie

They keep your ears warm ;)
  8. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

The two on the left are both DDR but different shades. I think one shade is for officers and the other is for enlisted and NCO grades. Does any one know. I have one of these hats, will have to find it, I hope mine is officer color.
  9. Cold-War-Charlie

The enlisted mans badge is the small circular one on the far right whereas the 2 badges on the left are officers badges.
  10. Keri

Keri Leader

A friendly word of advice....

Wear a Ushanka and drive a Trabant....

and....

9 out of 10 Americans will declare you a Communist*! They might also assume you're Russian!

* - Personally, I consider this a great compliment and am working to deserve such a title. But... it might not be the image you wish to project..
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Yes, I knew that. I thought that the colors meant something too. Apparently they do. Here is what a source shows. I will have to check mine and see if it is what I though it was. DSC07976xcopy.jpg
  12. Cold-War-Charlie

The three examples in the picture are NVA - Army, Mdl - Ministry of the interior and Zoll - Customs/Border Guards
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

thank you for confirming that for me. All of this should help out turbofiat124 who posted the first entry here. Now all he needs in the emblem then start wearing it. Unless you are worried about what it might look like to someone. In the right context it is a great hat. Oh, assuming it fits, there are tiny sizes that are easy to find. I wear 60 to 62 (depending on how much they have shrunken or stretched over the years, all DDR hats that is).
  14. Cold-War-Charlie

I have just bought a DDR Ushanka off ebay in a 62cm and it cost me £7

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

that is outstanding. even though I have all of the hats I need (well, I think I do) for that price I would probably buy another. Nice one.
  16. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

The synthetic materials make my head itchy
    Keri likes this.
  17. Cold-War-Charlie

I am looking for a generals Ushanka but its proving hard to find unless I want to pay serious money
  18. Keri

Keri Leader

Comrade, the itchiness is intentional.
    It took many years of research and practice to develop a material that remains itchy for several decades of hard use.

This is intended to keep you alert and in a state of readiness for anything those Insidious Western Spies™ might concoct.
    It also helps keep your Righteous Indignation at a suitable level for dealing with hostile enemies.
    Pure genius! No wonder the west never successfully invaded East Germany... DDR soldiers had itchy hats and a foul disposition.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  19. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Dear Itchy Hats, Suspicious and rude was not enough for guards at the boarder. Thank you for being so itchy.
    Keri likes this.
  20. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

OK that's exactly like mine. Even the plastic piece in the head liner and color. Mine came with the small compass emblem, but not the wreath around it. Unless yours is just one piece.

I paid $10 for mine but because it came from Quebec, Canada (less than 1000 miles), cost me $20 shipping. Also the Canadian postal service operates at a snail's pace. I can order something from the UK and it's quicker and cheaper.