1. SR380

SR380 Newbie

Hallo!

So I am starting to have motor issue. Since a few days my Trabi has problem to start. Even if it's stays in the garage all night, it's almost impossible to get it started in the morning. When I turn the key into the ignition you can here the starter going, so no issue with the battery nor the spark plugs. But the engine don't even make that noise when it will start.

I finally turn it on by dunking next to the car and jump into it, start in second gear.

Finally while driving the motor stopped twice. Enough gaz so that is not that...

Any one encounter the same issues?
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I'm wondering if the poor starting is a faulty choke on carburettor. Maybe see if it starts easily with a shot of ether. If it does check choke cable is attached etc .
  3. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

I had a problem on my old trabi motor of it being hard to start and then running badly and cutting out. It turned out to be the fuel tap. When it was in the off position it was letting fuel through at a very slow rate, but over time this fuel was building up in the crankcase and not evaporating completely. This had the effect of making the the fuel mixture overly rich to the point that the motor would cut out. In the end I had to remove the motor and take out the spark plugs and leave it upside down for 24 hours to remove the fuel. Once the motor was back in I fitted a electric fuel shut off valve that worked with the ignition. After that I never had a problem again. The valve can be turned on & off manually as well if for some reason the electric part plays up. And I still have the original tap in place, but I have fitted an extra fuel filter in the line before the new valve.
    I'm not saying that this is your problem,but it might be worth considering and having a look.
  4. TheHun

TheHun Newbie Forum Donor

When did it stop, while driving or in idle. When it starts doe it rev up properly or it feels like it has another mufler attached? You can have enough gas but still be a carburator issue.
  5. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

To check it's getting enough petrol disconnect the hose from carb and put it in a jar . When you turn on tap you should get a good steady flow .
  6. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

If you can hear the started turn, that doesn't rule out spark plugs.
    Take it one step at a time. It's either fuel, air or spark.
    Spark is easiest to check. Pull a plug, put a screw driver in it (WITH A PLATIC HANDLE) hold the screwdriver a 1/8" or so from some hunk of metal. Have a friend turn the car over. Do you see a spark or not? If not, change your plugs and try again. If still not, then we need to look at your points to see if they are working. Next thing in spark could be the coils, but they are pretty reliable. They do fail, but that's the last thing I'd check.
    Next thing to check is fuel... Pull the hose from where it attached to the carb and see if fuel trickles out, just like beamish suggested. If not, trace the line back, and it could be your fuel filter plugged like austinpowers suggested.
    Next is air, again like mbeamish said, you can check the choke cable.
    After all that, let us know what you find.