1. Razibilla

Razibilla Puttering Along

Hello, this is going to be my official introduction having finally brought myself a trabant. my name is Razi and I live in Luton. I put up a wanted add on hear a few weeks ago, thank you to all that replied. my last post on the wanted add was to confirm that I had brought a trabi on Ebay.de. unfortunately that deal did not go ahead at the end and I started my hunt again. I nearly gave up hope until a couple come up. one was cheap and UK registered, though this has not been on the road for last couple of years and I found out that the boot area has had rust repair using fibreglass, I decided not to look else where because of this and also because the car could cost a whole load to bring back onto the road. Finally I ended up with a Hungarian import. its a 1990, starts on the button and looks tidy and rust free. if I am honest im not really keen on the colour but I think this is because of the mods done by the previous owner. I am going to sell the front a rear bumper and the grill, the guy that sold me the car is going to get me the original parts by the end of this month hopefully. I am hoping with the original parts on, I will warm to the colour. can anyone tell me if the colour is original and what code this is. paint looks good on the picture but there are cracks and slight imperfection in the paint on closer inspection. anyway enough of the talking. pictures were taken on delivery few days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have named her Foxtrot 2 in memory of a close friend and colleague who passed away recently at a young age of 33.

long term plan is to get a period correct interior, get the wheels banded, lower the car by 120mm and a general tidy up. if I cannot live with the colour, I will be going with something like Lotus white. we will see.

The engine starts at the first click and does smoke a lot but I believe its because the previous owner used a 40:1 mix of mineral 2 stroke oil. I have ordered Lucas semi 2 cycle and will use 50:1.

the previous owner also fitted a Catalyst converter. I will get rid of this and fit standard rear exhaust. hopefully will give me a few BHP.

I am going to get NOVA done this week and will start looking to get everything needed for MOT such as head lights, rear fog and reverse light etc. I would also like to fit rear seat belts as I will be carrying my children.
    I have done enough talking and will appreciate any comments and advise on this.
    frogbros, Ron and Gorky like this.
  2. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

nice find ....
  3. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Nice one Razi! Interesting to see the 1.1 grille and bumpers on an earlier car, the trend nowadays seems to be the other way around, putting 601 bits on the 1.1s to backdate them.
  4. Razibilla

To be honest, was in two minds whether to buy it because of the bumpers, not to my taste but overall very happy with the purchase. Bumpers are now for sale, please pm me if interested. Will be selling cheap.

I have submitted NOVA through HMRC website, now just waiting for the paperwork.

For the MOT, I need

UK headlights - (found a pair I think will be a straight bolt in)
    Side repeaters - can someone recommend something that is suited to the trabant that I can easily pick up/order.
    Rear seat belt - I am going to buy secondhand from local scrappy and fit.
    Rear fog and reverse light.

What else would I need to do to get it through MOT.
  5. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Side blinkers i got these from the local Hella pusher:
    [​IMG]DSC04308 by mati0921, on Flickr

Just beware that the c-pillar is not ready to just bolt some seatbelts into, so i would use waist belts only. :)

Trabantwelt has rear fog and reverse light

I dont think you need anything else than the usual stuff like brakes, steering and rust. :)
  6. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Hello Razi,

I have just got my Trabi through the MOT. I fitted beam adaptors to the headlights, perfectly legal and work well, so if you have any trouble with fitting your new ones don't panic. £4 quid, cheap fix! The lack of side repeaters wasn't even mentioned by my MOT guy, but I have heard that some insist. If memory serves, I believe that as any car over ten years old doesn't require Type Approval, it is legal to use as is (this would apply to rear seatbelts too, a 1990 UK car would have to have them, but not a Trabi of the same vintage). I realise you want your seatbelts for driving the kids about, just an example...

Hopefully, you'll find the wiring for your reverse/fog lamps under the carpet in the boot, I'd be looking for originals either here or Trabantwelt, ebay.de etc. I had to extend the foglamp wire to swap it over to the UK offside by the way.

How are the brakes? Worth a look, as they're not that strong on a good day!? Sills, exhaust etc?

My car failed at first (I'd taken it see what was up really, and see what the guy made of it), on corrosion to the rear suspension subframes. There's an eye on each end, through which the frame is bolted to the car. The forward ones on mine had rotted, but the fix was easy, as Trabantwelt stock a repair piece.

Oh well, I'm rattling on (tends to happen where Trabi's concerned), hope it's of some use and good luck with it,

Ron.
  7. Gorky

Gorky Newbie

mine hasnt got a fog light i must get on fitted by the next MOT good info about the wiring under the carpet i will have a look any idea where i can get the correct fog light switch?

sorry to high jack your thread

your 1990 trabi with the later bumpers and grill must be one of the last made , nice one
  8. Razibilla

Thanks guys, really helpful. I haven't ordered the lights yet, was going to do this tomorrow but I like the idea of the beam adaptors, and the fact it will save me money. If you wouldn't mind Ron, do you have a link for the ones you brought.
    I definitely want seat belt as it's seriously congested in Luton with people always in a hurry, just for extra safety for the kids, I like the idea of lap belts and should be easy to fit. Will be on the hunt tomorrow. I have 3 day off end next week so will go through the car, hopefully will find the wiring. Funnily I pressed the fog lights switch and on came a blue neon light under the dash lol. Brakes however feel solid as well as the hand brake. I will speak to my local MOT guy who I have always used and will get a feelers of him reference the side repeaters. Won't bother fitting if I can get away with it.
  9. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

My trabi has beam adapters and the lights are good, in fact better than some new cars that I have driven.
    The trabi sat in a car show room for six years until I rescued it. A quick clean of the brakes and it went straight through the MOT with no advisorys, and it did the same again this year.
    Nice to see another trabi in the UK hope you have a lot of fun with it. I love supprising people at the trafic lights, thay just don't exspect it to takeoff that fast. The fact that I have raised the compression and fited a sports expansion pipe might help though LOL.
  10. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Mine has H4 RHD lamps fitted, I think they were originally Mini items?

@Gorky, since the rear fogs weren't standard, I don't think there's such thing as a "correct" light switch.
  11. Gorky

Gorky Newbie

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  12. Razibilla

Update

I met with my local MOT guy today, he said I need to change front/rear indicators to orange, I must also fit rear seat belts (lap belts ok). Reverse and fog lights must also be fitted. He said not to bother with the side repeaters which is is a bonus. I am placing order today.

I also have issues with the rubber seal on the rear windows (top middle) and the rubber seal for one of the side windows. There seems to be a gap where the rubber seals don't meet up, so if it rains, water will definitely enter the cabin(i can fit the tip of my finger in the gap) Is there filler piece available or will I have to order the full rubber seal kit.

One thing bugging me is the exhausts, I had a good look today, looks in good condition although it's covered in underseal which is strange but there is a catalyst converter fitted in the middle between front pipe and rear box. Question is does this reduce power, will it be worthwhile getting rid of it.
    If I need to get rid of this, i don't want to get a whole front pipe so might try my local exhaust place to see if they can weld a small piece in.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  13. Ron

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eurolite-Dr...e Headlight Beam Converters For Driving In UK

Link to Amazon, where I bought the beam deflectors. They actually don't look too bad on the car either, as they're silver not black like they used to be. Good news about your side repeaters, and it sounds like your MOT man is positive about the car, which let's face it, is half the battle!

I have a gap in my rubber seals too, I just filled it with clear silicone sealant, but then I am a bit of a frugal Scotsman....

I was under the impression that as long as your indicators flashed orange (so clear lenses with orange bulbs behind), they were legal? Plenty of cars have been modified in this way, and an awful lot of modern machinery uses them...

I would definitely be wanting rid of the cat, no legal requirement, and questionable environmental benefit on a Trabi. They sap power from even a modern engine, yours will feel like a different animal without it, I'm sure. I noticed that the price for exhausts on TrabantWelt seemed very reasonable, I wonder if it's worth getting a list of stuff you're needing and saving postage just getting it all from them (I don't work for them btw!), they seem to do everything, and Frank is very helpful. Other than that, how about cadging a bit of pipe just bigger in diameter and clamping that in your cat's place? And remember to take your old cat to the scrappy... they are worth a wee bit of petroil money at least!

I don't know about the switches, Gorky, mine has a pull switch which then lights up when on. I'm sure reich tuning or TrabantWelt are going to be the place to go though.

Anyway, it all sounds to be going well, very glad to hear it, please keep us updated. I am currently awaiting my British reg from the DVLA, and mutter angrily every time I have to leave my road-legal East German baby languishing on the driveway. I might go and watch Go Trabi Go again...

Cheers then, Ron.
  14. Ron

By the way Austin Powers, I am intrigued by your mention of (even) more power from the engine, will be searching the forum for details!
  15. Razibilla

Thanks for the link and advice Ron.
    Ron likes this.
  16. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

Ron I have spare motor that I am working on over winter, hopefully it should make the trabi shift a bit faster.;)

Razibilla my trabi in Hungary had to have a cat put on for the MOT there. It's not good for the motor and best to remove it. In Hungary I have a spare pipe that I can swap over after the test. You could remove the cat and fit a 45 bend and have it side exit by the back wheel:D.
    Ron likes this.
  17. Ron

18. Razibilla

It's been a very long time since my last post, my trabant was put on hold as redundancies were imminent at work, luckily all sorted now and my position has been confirmed safe. To celebrate I have started wiring the car for the new fog and reverse lights which I fitted today onto a used rear bumper. I also ordered the lowering leaf spring kit (120mm) and front camber correction piece (12mm) from Trabantwelt :)

I tried fitting the front bumper but it's in a real bad state, mounting brackets bent one side and half sheared off the other side. Also will need to drill and tap new fixing points as the old bolts sheared off. May look to purchase another if I cannot fix/fit this.

Has anyone removed and fitted the front and rear leaf springs, how easy/hard is it, will I need any special tools.

Many thanks

Razi