1. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Can someone explain how much fuel should flow down the line to the carb? I am having an issue when the car gets up to speed about 80 km/h. Once at speed it's like the engine starves out and stalls. Once sitting for about a minute we start back up just fine. I took the fuel line off last night and ran some fuel into a jar the fuel looks really clean but it seems like a small steady trickle into the jar... I thought it looked slow but I have no basis for comparison.
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Try removing the fuel cap next time it happens. If the breather is blocked no/little air will get into tank so no fuel out
  3. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Is a breather typically a secondary hose that comes out of the top of the tank to allow air in? If so I don't think my tank has one of those. The fuel cap does have a tiny hole in the center. I assumed that was some sort of vent to allow air into the tank as fuel flows out.
  4. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Yours sounds like the older type tank ,that tiny hole is the breather . Simply remove the cap take a quick drive and if problem disappears you need to unblock the cap or fit a new one . If your tank is very full syphon a bit out so petrol doesn't slosh out and don't drive anymore than necessary with cap missing. It is a quick and easy test to make
  5. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Ok. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the tip. Just out of curiosity and this may be a stupid question, I am sorry if it is. But on the fuel petcock where the fuel line bolts on and where the fuel line bolts to the carb. The bolt is call a "banjo bolt" I believe. this allows fuel to flow through and into the fuel line and then out into the carb. Do the holes on this bolt have to line up with the fuel line in a very specific manner or do they just tighten down and the position doesn't matter?
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

You can tighten it in any position but try driving it first without cap ,it happened to me and took a while to work out . My car would grind to a halt but after a few minutes would start and go another 1/2 mile then stop again
  7. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

That sounds very similar. I will give it a try after work and update. Thanks!
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Has a fuel filter been fitted to your car? Trabants aren't meant to have a filter so you could bypass or remove it and see if problem improves
  9. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

The only filter on mine is what is in the petcock. There is no inline filter or anything added in. It's just a straight fuel line from the petcock to the carb.
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Try the cap first then
  11. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

I checked the cap and the hole seemed blocked with dirt. I ran a toothpick down in it and it came back out black. It must have been blocked pretty bad. I didn't get a chance to drive last night before it got dark so wasn't able to try it without the cap yet. I did however get the car started. It didn't really want to start well though. It fired once for just a few seconds and then died. I tried a couple times to get it to restart but nothing. Removed the cap to look at it (this is when I realized it was clogged) and replaced the cap. I got back in the car and it fired right up. I will still try driving without the fuel cap just to further prove that was what was wrong but I think that may have sorted it out.
  12. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

@mbeamish - Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. We took the car to the Parade in DC and it ran great for us the whole weekend. It was crazy how much of a difference that little vent hole made. We couldn't even get the car out of our subdivision without it dying before I cleaned the cap, then we took it to DC and drove all over the place with no problems.
  13. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

Too bad that Andy can't say the same.
  14. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Ha! Yeah his was for sure more serious than a blocked vent hole.
  15. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Did someone have a mechanical issue at the event? Well besides me I mean. My shift lever broke and we had to get home by carefully feeling for each gear. Waiting for a part from Danzer now.
  16. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

I don't know if we should call it an issue, but on the way back from the show, we had one car that the left front wheel came off of on I495. It was more of a 'holy crap, I think we have a problem' type thing.
  17. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Who's car was it the axle nut came loose?

I flooded my Trabant when leaving the museum! Had to get out the can of ether. I will start a new thread on this later.

Then trying to get around all the DC driver's, my car was trying to warm up and kept stalling which it does for the first couple of miles if it's colder than 60F.

When I drove my car into the garage Monday, when I shut the door it wouldn't close. I discovered the screws holding the striker plate were loose. When I tried to tighten them the plate behind the door jam fell off! So I pulled the back panel off just enough and fished it out with a magnet. I'm glad this didn't happen in DC because I didn't have my magnet extension tool or duct tape to hold the door shut!

I thought the striker plate or star thingy on the door was worn out because the door always felt loose and wouldn't close all the way. The striker plate never actually felt loose though. Now the door seems to close all the way. But the threaded hold for the 3rd screw that screws directly into the body won't stay in as if the hole is boogered up. I'm not sure what purpose this 3rd screw serves unless it's used for alignment purposes.

By the way, if you loose any of these screws they are 6 X 20 mm X 1.0 thread pitch. Lowes hardware sells them in their little bins.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015