1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Anyone suggest some good German films? So far i have watched the
    Lives of others
    Good-bye lenin
    Das Boot
    Run lola run
    Stalingrad (1993)

Need to be subtitled or dubbed as i have no german. There don't seem to be many English version DVD's compared to french films for example
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

The Silent Star was a corny East German science fiction movie. Actually the special effects was comparable to what Hollywood science fiction movies used back in the 1960s. Just the dialog was corny.

The film was shortened, dubbed, renamed "First spaceship on Venus" and made into a "double feature" in the USA.

You know, back in the day when it was safe for parents to dump their kids off at the movie theater on a Saturday morning to get them out of their hair for awhile, hand them a couple of bucks for popcorn and sodas and then pick them up in the afternoon.

I found the movie on YouTube about a year ago. I don't know if it's still on there or not.

And of course "Go Trabbi Go". I think there is a subtitled version on YouTube as well.

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Those are all good movies. I especially like Good-bye Lenin.
  4. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Any help on finding english version of Sonnenallee?
  5. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Goodbye Lenin & Lives of Others are Great. Haven't seen any of the others But Sonnenalle has been previously mentioned, as has Sushi in Suhl, though I haven't found a copy!

Try Enigma, a daft 1980's spy story (in English) concerning a German - American spy sent into the DDR to steal an encryption device. Nice shot of Volkspolizei Lada screeching round corners!
  6. bigmark40

bigmark40 Puttering Along

"Yella" is a very good German/East German film with English subtitles. It stars Nina Hoss who also plays the lead role in Barbara, but it's a better film than the latter in my opinion. "The Debt" is a decent film (in English) with plenty of Trabant's, Wartburg's and Barkas vans driving about the streets. "Der Tunnel" is a great film about the true story of a tunnel being dug through a sewer that ran from East to West Berlin (English subtitles).
  7. Keri

Keri Leader

"Der Schweigende Stern" or maybe "The Silent Star" …. Not corny, but Venusian Aggression at its finest!

Naturally, the hero-vehicle, Cosmostrator, is of Duroplast construction. At 39:00-39:30, you can see the optional Duroplast Repair System in use, after the Ancient Mayans dented it up a little bit.

Those crafty old Venusians tended to make small errors in their atomic physics* with hilarious results! But in the end, I think it was the Ancient Mayans™ that got 'em…. Or possibly Marvin the Martian!**

*- small errors like screwing up Relativity with E=MC ROUND

** - No wonder Marvin the Martian was so obsessed with watching Venus!
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  8. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I like how the movie was also "Americanized" when it was dubbed into English. I wonder who the original scientists and astronauts were? East German, Soviet? I'm sure not American!

The director hated that the movie was shortened for the US theater. I bet he really hated that the fact they Americanized it as well!
  9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Just watched 'Yella' (rented from amazon) no trabants but good movie which i enjoyed
  11. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

Just watched 'Goodbye Lenin' last night - had seen it in bits and pieces before but not the whole thing - was pleasantly surprised to see that their 'New Trabi' was a blue universal!

I have Run Lola Run and Das Boot on DVD, they are two of my favourites. Some others to look out for are:
    - Knockin on Heavens Door
    - The Baader-Meinhof Complex (this one is very violent but a great movie, Moritz Bleibtreu is great as Baader)

If you are a fan of run lola run have a look out for The Princess and the Warrior - directed by the same bloke. Not as good as Lola Rennt but it does star Franke Potenta....
  12. RHFabrications

RHFabrications Loyal Comrade

Run Lola Run is one of my favourite films. Nice idea, nicely done. Go Trabi Go is fun, there's an HD version on YouTube too.
  13. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

Just to add a few other notables not listed above:

The Legend of Rita
    World on a Wire

14. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

15. Steve H

Steve H Loyal Comrade

I've watched Lives of Others, Barbara, Goodbye Lenin and Stalingrad.

Must watch some of the other recommendations in this thread. I had hoped some films and Deutschland 83 would improve my basic German skills - but they didn't!
  16. aardvark64

aardvark64 Puttering Along

Edukators is worth watching, too.

Best wishes, Colin
  17. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

I quite enjoyed Deutschland 83; just finished the season a few days ago. I forgot to mention Frau Im Mond earlier. That's quite a go at sci-fi special effects in the 20s!
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  18. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I have a sealed DVD of Barfuss £4 plus postage if anyone is interested (or might swap for another german DVD)
  19. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Just watched M ( rented from lovefilm) . The 'Lives of Others' is currently on Netflix
  20. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

-Go Trabi Go.
    -Ein engel uber Berlin.
    -Manta Manta.
    -Crazy race 2 (few Trabant's were destroyed)
    -Funeral in Berlin.
    -The unknown.

And a few DVD's (documentation) about Berlin Wall and border crossings.