1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

My DDR ushanka is starting to get a bit thread bear. I've put it to good through the winters. Hopefully I'll be retiring it for the season in a couple of weeks. I may have to get me another one.

I'm not looking for any uniforms to wear at the Parade of Trabants but something I can wear at my job or doing yard or garage work.

Years ago I purchased some of these camo pants at Wal-Mart that were made of run stop material but what I really liked about them were they made of a super thin material. I work in a chemical plant and it's get quite hot in the summer time. I bought about seven pairs of these pants but the downside to the material was after a couple of years, they started to break down and had to toss them. Blue jeans are way too hot for the summer and the pants they issue us are not much better.

I've seen some of these DDR pants and was wondering how thick the material is. Here's one I'm looking at that is in my waist size but it's out of stock.

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/nva-ddr-strichtarn-m65-m70-summer-trousers.html

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on anything specific that might be what I'm looking for and where to buy it.

By the way, while doing a search on Ebay.UK a word popped up I had not heard in ages: Breechies. My Grandmother used to refer to pants as breechies.

Pants are typically casual (like blue jeans) but trousers are more upscale. You know, the type you wear if your going out to a nice seafood restaurant like Red Lobster versus going to a cheap meal at Captain D's or Long John Silvers for fish and chips...

She was not born in the UK but it seems folks born in the early part of the 20th century southeastern US and Britain seemed to use the same words for certain objects for some reason. She would call her laundry room the utility room. I always called it a laundry room then when some of my friends from the UK came over to visit, one of them refereed to it as a utility room. I guess maybe the language just changes from generations.

Found this on Pinterist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

i dont have the legs for the skirt in the last picture my trouser choice is whats called work wear in the uk,you know the style knee pad pockets[with knee pads fitted]multiple pockets and in dark blue or black,theyre as good for in the garage as at work especialy with the knee pads with my knackered knees
  3. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Maybe you can look at ebay.de
  4. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

ebay US, UK, and DE are good for DDR surplus. Searching for STRICHTARN typically yields good results. Those NVA trousers are kind of a baggy fit and are designed to be worn with field suspenders.
    For more serious collectors, there are a few good message boards and facebook sites for this kind of thing. Like a lot of Cold War surplus, the market is drying up and prices are increasing.
  5. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling Newbie

Indeed it is funny how word meanings can change....Pants would mostly be used to say something is no good now, as in.."that's pants that is".. or "They are pants"
    In the North of the Uk, ........, Kex, kecks, Kegs...
    Only Southerners have a utility room...up North we are lucky to have an outside toilet!..ha ha
    Not sure about the trousers but I like Photo One...A tin can on your head..
    But would Health & Safety go for it !!!
  6. kev the builder

My utility rooms a pot sink out the back of my garage with a cold tap
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Yeah I don't need anything with suspenders!

Multiple pockets and lightweight.
  8. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

Trouser braces. In case the UK contingent is confused. :D
  9. kev the builder

Yes suspenders hold your stockings up,braces stop your trousers falling down