1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Yesterday I noticed that my battery on my Trabant was completely flat and the ignition switch was in the run position!:eek:

I doubt I did it but my guess was my daughter did it at some point. I'm not sure how long the key was on (maybe a week) but it was long enough to discharge the battery.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be too concerned but word on the street is if this happens it can burn either the MOSFETs out on the electronic ignition, points (which ever one happens to be closed) and the coils.

After I recharged the battery, the car fired right up and I checked to make sure the engine was firing on both cylinders.

Either I just got lucky or the magnets on my electronic were not aligned with the MOSFETs.

I did have a backup plan to get me to the Parade of Trabants. I still have the original breaker plate and Tractor Supply carries 6 volt coils for Ford 800 tractors.

I'm just concerned I weakened my three year old battery. Modern batteries don't like to be discharged too many times, otherwise they won't hold a charge afterwards.

The 2 year old battery on my van ran down last winter and after recharging it, just running the radio for a couple of hours drained it. But it may have been flat for quite a while. Seems if you don't let them stay flat for an extended period of time, they can be recharged.

Is it OK to jump start a 6 volt car off a 12 volt battery? Any other ever done this without blowing something up?
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I looked it up and saw the subject discussed on a Buick-owner's forum. They say you can jump a 6v with a 12v car battery but make sure all the lights and accessories are turned in the 6v car to avoid blowing any 6v bulbs or anything. It was also mentioned that you should unhook the 12v car as soon as the 6v fires or risk burning up a coil. Honestly, with all the precautions they were talking about, I'm not sure I'd do it. How about this take it to Autozone and ask them to charge it. Wait no they'd probably destroy it.
  3. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Before I had my battery issues sorted out, I used to park on top of a hill and used the clutch to start it.
  4. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

I just bought a new spare 6v battery and keep it charged up just in case the battery in the car goes flat. I counted myself lucky to get a battery charger with a proper toggle switch so it can remain on the 6 v setting all the time and be used just with the Trabant batteries. Must remember to tape switch in the 6 v position.