1. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Hi Trabikumpels,

Zausel's outer crankshaft bearing is pretty much gone and my buddy Philip has offered to send me a new motor over for cheap. Thing is, DHL has a weight limit on packages. Just curious if anyone has had a motor shipped before. What service did you use and how heavy is the motor? My step father isan engineer and gets DHL freight from Germany all the time, but didn't have an answer.

Thanks in advance!
  2. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

I had a motor shipped over, we had to send the block assy in one box and the cylinders, heads and pistons in another. Then when they arrived, I just put it together and installed it.
  3. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

What did that cost and what company shipped it? Thanks.
  4. TNTrabi

I ordered an engine and complete exhaust system and it cost just under $1200.00. DHL shipped it out of Germany and then the U.S. mail took over when it cleared customs and delivered it to my house.
  5. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

But how about the shipping? That is what I am interested in knowing.
  6. TNTrabi

The shipping was about $300 best I can remember.
  7. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Awesome! Thanks for that. Standard DHL shipping?
  8. Keri

Keri Leader

When dealing with Trabantwelt, the first attempt failed in the USA and the package was sent back as too large or too heavy.
    To Trabantwelts great credit, they reshipped the motor in 2 packages, block in one and cylinders/heads in the other.
  9. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

I also bought one from trabant welt. I believe it came DHL and ran $300 or so. If I remember they don't limit the size but rather there is a certain weight above which you pay maximum shipping.
  10. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

I'm probably just going to get a new block with crankshaft shipped and use my head and cylinders.
  11. JFB

JFB Puttering Along

Just got my new motor from Trabant welt last week!
    Shipped in two boxes, to Canada, I paid about 150$.
    It took about 5 days to get it here :)
  12. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Brilliant, thanks JFB. Probably going to try and ship a motor, transmission and two new front seats in as few boxes as possible.