1. Surrey

Surrey Newbie

Hi,

Just joined the forum so thought I'd introduce myself.

Picked up my first Trabant at the weekend – a 1990 1.1 model imported from Hungary.

The car is low mileage and seems very genuine. I drove it home through the Surrey countryside without any problems – it's great fun to drive and attracts so much attention!

I'll be doing some minor work on the car ready for summer – replacing worn driveshafts and also some non-standard parts such as an aftermarket steering wheel with original.

Mostly though I'll be driving it! I chose the 1.1 model to be a little more practical for regular use.

Simon

s-l1600 (2).jpg
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Welcome so you have the big engined big horse power model!hope your enjoying all the attention it's strange how something different gets such a reaction
  3. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

Beautiful car!! Clean.......
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Nice look with the old style bumpers. Hard to tell from the side photo but it looks like the taillights are old style too? What does it look like from the front?
  5. Surrey

Surrey Newbie

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

And yes, you're right, the car it fitted with old style bumpers, rear lights, and front grille, which suits me just fine as I get the classic look but with (relatively) modern practicality.

Just placed my first order with trabantwelt.de and was pleasantly surprised at how reasonably priced everything is.

First job is to replace the horrible aftermarket steering wheel with the original (supplied with the car) so I've ordered a new tapered pin for the steering column and read up about how to get the old one out.

I'll also be taking a look at the clutch as it's very 'grabby' at the moment, but perhaps they're always like that...?
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

You could, if you wanted to, go all the way and put an old style bonnet on it. I've seen it done.
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

8. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Old style bonnet will give problems I think.
    Because it is a 4 cilinder engine and generate more heat so I do not know fiber bonnet can handle it.
  9. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Nice looking car, well done and welcome!

I have bumper envy....
  10. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

i dont think the old style bonnet would give any problems my race car used a grp front for years without any problems and that used to produce some heat
  11. Keri

Keri Leader

Welcome from Chicago! :)
  12. Trabant_Mike

Trabant_Mike Puttering Along

Welcome aboard. It looks like you have a beauty there. Was this the one on eBay the other week?