1. alexddr

alexddr Newbie

Hi everybody! :)

On the net I found that announcement:

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote...67f7325-707b-4c7b-a6f8-2f317da12db0?cldtidx=1

The seller says that this car is a Trabant P601L from 1977.

He also shows picture of the documents but I don’t have enough experience to understand if it is true or not.

I believe that between you someone with more experience than me, could help me in order to make my choice.

I thank you all in advance for your help!
  2. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

It might be an 1977 model with a lot of "updates" (modern bumpers, dashboard, steering wheel, wipers, door handles...). I guess, it's the narrow B-pillar what would be OK for that year. Also the door is the old style before Juliy 1977.
    The color is not the "neptunblau" written in the paperwork.
    Some more detailed and sharp pictures would help a lot.
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Save your money and get something in better shape.
  4. alexddr

alexddr Newbie

Thank you for the replies! ;) On Monday I will take a look on that car and I will post more photos with details. I also noticed that colour was not Neptune blau as mentioned in the papers. If there is no possibility to be sure that that car really correspond to the DDR documents I will not buy it.
  5. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

The chassis /frame number is on a rectangular plate welded behind the petrol tank . There is also a black and silver aluminium plate on bulkhead/firewall . Both should match the chassis number on paperwork . The steel plate behind the tank is the really important one . Check it carefully if the numbers don't match or are missing think very carefully as it may be difficult/impossible to register the car . The car looks rough but dry stored and the seats seem good . Check sills etc for rust if the body is solid the car might be worth buying.
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

It is common for early cars to be repaired with parts from later models. If you want your car to look original early parts can be bought but can be expensive . For example the correct bumpers could be several hundred euros alone for good condition ones
  7. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

So my car is a June 1977, and yeah there ain't much matching between this and car and mine...
    To list the things wrong for a 77 year car...

Door handles should be metal, not black.
    Should have rounded bumpers
    Should have grey seals for all windows (for neptuneblau)
    should have white piping in the along panels instead of black (for neptuneblau)
    steering wheel is wrong.
    mirrors are wrong
    Reflectors on the rear lights should be chrome edged.

Not sure if this car is a S or Deluxe, but if its a standard, it has the wrong dashboard, wrong seat covers and door cards..
    Might be fine in the Special or Deluxe, although if it was deluxe it should have chrome bumpers?
    But yes that looks like Gletscherblau or Delphingrau, if Delphingrau it would be in the right year range, but definitely not Neptuneblau

But yeah don't buy that... its only worth 500euro if that for parts... not 1200Euro
  8. alexddr

alexddr Newbie

Thanks for the advises! I will check the chassis/frame number carefully. If i don't find the steel plate behind the thank I will not buy the car for sure.
  9. alexddr

alexddr Newbie

Thanks for your reply! Yeah...I don't believe that I will buy that car but I will go to take a look: just for curiosity...My problem is also that in Italy is really difficult to find Trabant, like in Germany for exemple. But I will continue my hunting with the help of this amazing forum! :)
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

You might be better spending 2000 euros? and getting something running/driving and in good original condition. If you buy a cheap project it usually works out expensive
  11. alexddr

alexddr Newbie

I just found on the net that one :
    https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/...140914c-2e9b-0e38-e053-e250040a0aea?cldtidx=2
    Maybe that it is more interesting: engine and electrical system works properly and genral conditions of the car seems quite good. The announcement said that the car is from 1985 and originally from Hungary.
    Do you believe that it is a value for money opportunity?
  12. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I don't know about price ,how expensive/difficult is italian registration? If you look at it check carefully the floors and sills etc for rust . Even a rotten trabant can look good at first because the duroplast looks good . There was a Hungarian guy bringing cars into England and selling them on British ebay for around £1200 pounds . I suspect a car for sale in Germany with german TUV ( safety certificate) will be in better condition than Hungarian or Bulgarian cars . I know how you feel living in Italy ,I live in Ireland and had to travel to England to buy my cars
  13. alexddr

alexddr Newbie

Italian registration is quite easy and not so expensive. I find on the net some quotations about it and I guess that I will pay not more than between 350 and 400 euros. The car on the announcement is already in Italy. I will follow your suggestions about the general check of the car staus but I think that you're right about the fact that it is better to buy a car that works instead of a cheap project that could cost a lot of money to restore. Finally I will go to see teh first one and that one and i will post my opinion and photos on the forum. Tahnks a lot fot your help!
  14. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

The other thing is brakes ,if the car has been sitting unused the brakes quickly seize and need replacing. For 2000 euros i would want NO serious faults, try and drive the car and see if it pulls to one side when braking . If the brakes are bad, haggle price down ,parts are still cheap if you can repair it yourself
  15. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Look at mobile.de
    There are more ridible cars than this one and in better shape.

http://www.trabantserie.de/html/serieninfo.html

This link you can see in which year they change something and you see quick if car is original or not.

Choose serieninfo above then serienverlauf.
  16. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

Your Hungarian Trabant from 1985 looks like a very late 1990 to me.
  17. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

For 2k€ I would be wanting a test drive and no faults and rust
  18. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

Also try the Trabant Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/174075262621423/ they often have cars up for sale, and from what I've seen they are usually in good condition. You could also ask them, they are usually really helpful and can point you in the right direction of someone who might have what you want...
  19. alexddr

alexddr Newbie

Thanks! Very helpfull this site!
  20. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Definitely buy the best possible car you can find. My Barkas van was very cheap ( broken gearbox) but by time i got it on the road it turned out expensive . I paid a lot more for my wartburg but was able to start using it immediately . It wasn't perfect but nothing major and was a much better buy