1. Comrade-Paul

Comrade-Paul Newbie

Last September I returned to the USA to meet up with P60 owner Jon Clark from Swayzee Indiana.
    I met Jon at the Trabant Rally in DC the previous November.
    Jon brought along the oldest Trab of the day, his red 1962 P60.
    [​IMG]

In need of a fair bit of work, I offered to come over to Indiana from England and help restore the body.
    True to my word I turned up last September and in 10 days we did this to Jons 1962 P60.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It came out pretty well. Now Jon is collecting trim parts like bumpers etc to finish it off. :D
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

That is some amazing, amazing work you guys did in just 10 days, I wish mine looked that great!
  3. Comrade-Paul

Comrade-Paul Newbie

It will Justin. Have faith.
    Get some buddies over, give them beer and sand paper!
    They will work. We had 4 of us rub that thing down. I painted it, but the hardwork was fueled by beer!
  4. Justin

Unfortunately, none of my friend know bodywork, I do slightly, but that's it
  5. Comrade-Paul

Comrade-Paul Newbie

Neither did they! I barked orders, they swigged beer and did as they were told!
    Join a local classic car club. Its the best way.
    They may not dig the Trabant as opposed to an old 57 Chevy, but bodywork is the same for all cars.
    Loads of car heads in the USA. :D
  6. Justin

Thats not a bad idea, I could ask the club. I'm already in one with my MGB, and they would take kindly to the Trabi since it kind of resembles and MG 1100
  7. Comrade-Paul

Comrade-Paul Newbie

Excellent.
    A beer and sandpaper party!!
    Throw in a barbeque and all is well !
  8. bttw

bttw Owner, Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Excuse me? I remember sanding on your car for months.
  9. Justin

You my friend are in South Carolina and I am in Texas, makes it difficult to just come out and help me with this one, but yes, you did help an incredible amount with the Nissan.
  10. Swayzee Jon

Swayzee Jon Newbie

Paul is a good Bloke! Had a great time during the couple weeks he was at my house. Got a lot done and had time to take a road trip to boot!

Taught me a lot about Trabis and of course, body work! I had never done it before (I still haven't! I just watched Paul do all the work!!)

But seriously, the Trabi looks awesome!!

If you want to watch a video that the two of us put together on the resotration, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ARNSfJLFA

WARNING: It is a wee bit long! 10 minutes 50 seconds...

Thanks again, Bloke!
  11. Comrade-Paul

Comrade-Paul Newbie

Hey Jon. glad you found us on here.
    Cheers bloke! :lol: :lol:
  12. Fredo

Fredo Newbie

Why didn't you take off the Duroplast parts? There is ALWAYS rust hiding behind them on the wheel arches. You can't restore a Trabi – even less a Trabi of this age – just by applying a nice coat of paint...
  13. Brian Krustchinsky

Brian Krustchinsky Loyal Comrade

Looks awsome, I have a few flaws in my panels (kinda like dimling on the pilar near windshield) what can I fix the with, bondo put or fiber glass resin? Figure you might know since you painted yours and It looks so nice?
  14. Justin

Brian Krustchinsky, I have rust on my A-pillar and will have to fix that too. So I am interested in this also.
  15. Brian Krustchinsky

I have rust on my driver pilar behind the door and on left front lip where fender attaches
  16. Justin

Then I guess the next question would be, how do you rate your body work skills? I'd put mine as a 6 or 7 out of 10.
  17. Brian Krustchinsky

I am not afraid to cut metal out and weld in, but what can you apply to body panels to fix and smooth (bonda, metal all, fiberglass ?)
  18. Justin

Can you take pictures of your problem areas? Also, if you don't mind private message me your number and maybe between the two of us we can get the body work done.