1. Cessnapilot89

Cessnapilot89 Puttering Along

Hello all,

Was just wondering, how often do Trabanat owners here drive their Trabants? Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly?

-Cody
    Justin likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Since I got my engine rebuilt and running, I've been driving it more than my 2010 Jetta. I know John Short drives his daily.

I drove mine to work today though and plan on doing it tomorrow too. On that same note, it's getting its inspection tomorrow too.
    czechnology likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Great question though.

I'm going to make it a sticky!
  4. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

Never driven mine :(, just a 5 minutes trip without number plates. I am waiting for Italian registration.
    However the plan is using it as a daily driving for my wife.
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

More often than the law allows! I have an antique licence plate which means I don't have to pay the annual $51 registration fee every year since the car is 25+ years old. But the car is supposed to be driving occcasionly. But the law is not actually clear on what "occasional" use only means since there is no mileage limit.
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I drive one of them frequently. I may have been seen on I-80/94 between Hobart and Hammond many spring and fall weekdays. In and around Hobart I drive regularly. I do have a special plate but not much of a limit on my miles (only based on my insurance). The others I only drive if they are running well and it amuses me. Around the block is a nice warm up on some summer days.
  7. Keri

Keri Leader

27,000 kilometers a year.

Is that a lot?
    Daniel P likes this.
  8. turbofiat124

I have special insurance as well. I think it's $50 a year.

They don't like for me to drive the car to work but with my job which is from either 6:25 am to 6:30pm (dayshifts) or 6:25pm to 6:30am (nightshifts) there is not as much traffic on the roads during those times compared to people who work 8 to 5 pm Monday through Friday. My division at the plant I work at has it's own parking lot and in the 20 years the plant has been running we have never had a break-in or theft so I feel confident about parking my car there.

My only concern is sometimes a smokestack scrubber fails and it dumps a load of crap into the air and can damage the paint. But the car needs a paintjob anyway.

My main concern about driving the car in the mornings are deer.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I hear you with that deer thing. I will have to become a hunter to protect my cars. One ran into our Dodge causing over about 800 damage.
  10. turbofiat124

There was this series on Discovery about statistics. Mainly statistics in the United States. One episode explained what were your chances of death. Well other than 100%...

Getting killed in an airplane crash was something like 1 in 10 million. Getting killed in an auto accident was 1 in 7!!

The animal that kills more people in the United States than any other was deer (vehicle collisions). Worldwide it was the mosquito (malaria/west nile/other diseases). Mostly in non industrialized nations like in Africa but very little in the United States.
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Stats for Trabants might be relatively good just due to their limited numbers. Interesting info, get that bow and arrow.
  12. Hanni

Hanni Puttering Along

I drive mine once or twice a week during summer. By early November I prepare her for winter hibernation, where she stays put in a barn or garage until late spring (May).
  13. Keri

Keri Leader

Comrade Trabi and I just might buzz Hobart in the near future....
    trabant601 likes this.
  14. Cessnapilot89

Cessnapilot89 Puttering Along

My goal once I have one is to drive it from the San Francisco area down to Long Beach to see my old German teacher who introduced me to the Trabant.
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That would be great. Less than half a dozen Trabi friends have stopped by even though many more than that have driven past my house (based on my proximity to I-80 94). I am only 3 miles from the Ripley St. Exit at Hwy. 51. I am on the map and hope some more will drop by, see you soon.
  16. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I am an old German teacher and would love it if a former student of mine stopped by with a Trabant. He or she will love it.
    Keri and Justin like this.
  17. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

Recently I've switched commuting to work by bicycle, because it's just about 5 to 6 km one way and only short tours are bad for the car. Before, I had to bring our son to the childcare and made about 21 km per day.

I've been driving my Trabant since End of 2001 and made about 135'000 km in this time - in average a bit more than 10'000 km a year.

@ Keri: You can be happy that the petrol is so "cheap" in the US ;)
    Justin and Keri like this.
  18. Keri

Keri Leader

Hi phi

Oh, I am.... A little gasoline (petrol) and some 2-cycle oil and I'm all set....
    My other car is also very economical.
    I see people in these big 2,000-3,000kg (5,000-7,000lbs) SUVs and wonder how they pay for the fuel!

Today marks 29,000km exactly since 1 May 2012.

And yes, short trips are brutal on a 2-cycle motor especially in damp climates. My SAAB had bad roller rot.
    Justin likes this.
  19. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

I only drive mine if I want to scare the population, or we have excess of mosquitos around.... I guess this is why I didn't see any mosquitos in Chicago when I was there last! Keri scares them away with her Trabi...

We are in the process of moving out to the country side. So now I mostly drive my Barkas loaded with all my junk... I think I've reached the weight limit on her more then once... Rusted metal is pretty heavy! I have parts for seven different brand of cars...plus our household items. It's great to own a Barkas!
    Trabant 601 1970 and Justin like this.
  20. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Every couple of days, as the weather has been really good here since I got the car. Probably less so when the rain comes back.