Hubert the Wartburg

Wartburg item created by Cold-War-Charlie, Jun 1, 2015

1. Cold-War-Charlie

Cold-War-Charlie Von Trabi Forum Donor

2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Well glad to see another 4 door vehicle. I can't get the photos to open so far but I'm really curious to see. Let's here some about the car. Has a sunroof I see.
  3. Cold-War-Charlie

He is being delivered in 2 weeks time and will need an MOT. We hope to get him on the road ASAP and in time for SALT in Sept although it leaves me in the dilema as to which car to take Wartburg or Trabant :)
  4. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Greetings!

I saw it on Ebay some time ago, an interesting and charming (If naive) Pastiche of a police car. Are you planning to keep it as it is OR create a more accurate police replica?
    The main reason to keep it as it is in the photos is that You WON'T get stopped for impersonating the police since it lacks the lights AND is Obviously not quite correct in terms of colour, markings and other fittings.
    My inclination would be to Upgrade to an accurate replica, after all Who Wouldn't want a Police Car ??
  5. Cold-War-Charlie

Hi.
    I am going to keep it. It does come with lights and sirens which are removeable. (Not going to be driving it with them on). What would need doing to upgrade it?
  6. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Greetings!
    If you have the Lights /Sirens, that's a Great start.
    Colour AND Markings are Not quite right, to get an Authentic police look You would need to make the following alterations to the exterior:-
    1) The Green on the lower half is the wrong shade (Too Light) - You need a Darker Military type green.
    2) "Volkspolizei" Decal on the Bonnet is Too high up, it Should run Along the front edge.
    3) "Volkspolizei" Decal on the Side Should Not be there, BUT running along the front edge of the Boot Lid.
    The ONLY Decal on the side of the vehicle should be the "Police Badge" located on the front doors, Usually overlapping the White & Green sections.

Also, an FF63M type in-car telephone unit (As issued to Police & certain Military units) would be a nice addition
  7. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

But no point in getting retentive about it because it's never going to be perfect anyway, and how many people are even going to know the difference? I would have left it alone; a sunroof car is collectible enough.