1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I don't know if this is news or I've just been living under a rock.

I asked one of my Fiat friends who is originally from Hungary but owns part interest in a Fiat parts supplier in Texas if he knew of any Trabant part suppliers or had contacts in Hungary.

I checked out some of the prices on the first link and they seem to be much lower than what the Germans suppliers want. What's odd is they want $3.00 for a hinge type pinion where LDM wants $50 for the same part? WTF?

Shipping should be cheaper (and faster) than DHL from my experience ordering parts between the two countries.

They have a dropdown box for the United States.

http://trabantwartburgalkatresz.eu/

http://www.baro-ker.hu/index.php?cPath=30
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

SOME, not all of the parts out of Hungary are lesser quality, not so much less that I would not buy.....The Euro is much stronger in Germany than almost anywhere else so that is part of the reason why prices are "higher", it's relative to the country.

I have been wanting to find a supplier that ships from HU to the US for a long time and have considered going to Budapest to try and work this out (well, for vacation too, but why not kill 2 birds). The problem I have run into is not having a good payment method (i.e. Credit Card or PayPal), typically they want bank transfer. Although bank transfer is affordable for other Europeans, as American's, money sent to Europe via bank transfer usually comes with a pretty hefty fee making things not all that much cheaper.

IF this Hungarian vendor will take a CC or Paypal, then I am very open to make an order.

If you, or anyone, discovers something more on this, let me know.
  3. turbofiat124

I did a "test" basket just to see if they had a dropdown box for the United States which would be "Egyesült Államok" and seems like they have a credit card option. I was using Google translate through Internet Explorer so the webpage was all screwed up. When I get home I run it through Google Chrome which displays translated pages better and see what happens.

I haven't seen @Bountyflyer on here in awhile. I wonder if he has ever ordered from this outfit?

"
    Justin likes this.
  4. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

whenever I ordered anything from Europe ( and esp. hungary ) nothing but no good ...

its better if you know someone from there w/ their costs because its like, " the norm " at when you transfer fund(s) ( and even knowing the language a bit also helps )
  5. turbofiat124

I found out the first supplier only does bank transfers. Since my bank want's $55 for a flat transaction then the cost savings wouldn't work out. Unless Western Union is cheaper.
  6. Justin

kind of what I expected
  7. Serendipity

Serendipity Newbie

Well, I live in Hungary, and go to Pest weekly. I've also been studying Hungarian since September of last year and could manage dealing with the supplier.

I have seen tons of wrecked Trabants. If you guys need parts, let's talk. I have paypal.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    Justin likes this.
  8. Justin

Awesome offer Adrian....Thank you!
  9. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Shipping is a problem from Hungary..My wife is Hungarian and we have tried numerous methods. Even DHL stuff comes mangled, opened, etc. by the Hungarian Govt. I buy all my trabi parts from Germany that they cant fit on their luggage when they visit
  10. turbofiat124

Anything transported by DHL from any country looks like it went throw the ringer....

No wonder they couldn't make it in the United States.
  11. Serendipity

Serendipity Newbie

I've had problems with DHL before as well, but have had good experience when using National mail services. They're usually very reliable, and the packages arrive intact.
  12. turbofiat124

I've had a couple of packages arrived from Hungary through their mail service. So far it's half as money, twice as fast and the package has arrived in much better condition than if it were mailed using DHL.
  13. guys, i'm buying my stuff from zsombicar. . . . bank transfer and cash only tho, I too could set up a Paypal to allow sending purchases abroad, if we can sort out a reliable courier tho :)

Paul