1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. SALE PENDING - Hello Everyone...Just a note for those of you who do not check the For Sale Section often, but I am selling my Trabant for $2500. Link is below, if you're interested, reach out to me. http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/price-drop-1984-trabant-limo-for-sale-clear-title.43437/
  1. Reid Henry

Reid Henry Puttering Along

Hey everybody!

My name is Reid, and I'm a student at Indiana University, looking to get my hands on my first Trabant! Ive been in love with these little cars since I was in high school learning about the DDR. I'm not married to the idea of any certain model. I'd be looking somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500/$3000 and am not afraid to wrench on the car. Any help you guys could offer would be most appreciated! Thanks so much!!

-R. Henry
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

More than what you want to spend, not an original 1965, but it looks good. It's been factory-rebuilt in the 1980s: https://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/5975334584.html

Every once in a while, a Hungarian guy based in FL sells some, too, for prices closer to what you're looking for.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

4. Reid Henry

Reid Henry Puttering Along

I've heard of this guy! How often does he have them to sell? I see he's also an importer, does anyone know what his prices for that are?
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I paid him $4500 in 2012 for mine. That was including:

finding the car
    buying the car
    shipping it from Hungary to Miami
    registering it in Florida, signing off on the title (so I could just hand the local DMV the Florida title and be done with it)
    arrange transporting it to Tennessee

I had to pay the driver $300 but it was allot cheaper than renting a U-Haul and driving 900 miles to Miami, renting a hotel for a few nights and driving back.

I have no idea how much he actually paid for the car but LotsOfKids say they usually go for around $300 in Hungary. Ebay Germany it seems the price is comparable to what they are selling for here in the US.

Just having someone register the car and getting a US title was money well spent. The law says I can register a car in Tennessee if it's 30 years old without any documentation but it seems the ladies who work there make up their own rules as they go. If you do import one from somebody else, be sure to learn the law. If your state's law is like mine, DO NOT tell them you have any documentation from Hungary, otherwise they may reject the application for a title. This law was created for "barn finds" but it seems to apply for cars that were never sold here.