1. radioman

radioman Premium Member Forum Donor

Hi UK guys look in your unwanted parts Thanks Keith
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Are you referring to the rubber piece with the small lip that goes between then fan assembly and shroud or the eye lid piece that fits underneath the band clamp?

I just recently inquired about the fan assembly on the UK forums and learned something. The eye-lid piece really doesn't serve a cooling purpose. It's more less a shield or some sort. I questioned if this eye-lid piece was necessary because it made installing the band-clamp a bit difficult getting everything aligned.
    And it some what looks homemade like it was cut from a piece of rubber material.

Then someone pointed out my car being an 81 model should not have a band clamp and the eye lid piece should be riveted to the assembly.

Apparently I have some sort of a hybrid fan assembly that someone threw together for some odd reason. The earlier models used a T-bolt band clamp to hold the fan assembly to the engine and a metal fan blade.

The later models used a bolt/nut. The eyelid piece was riveted to the fan assembly. And the fan was plastic. Not sure when the change over occurred.

My car came with a T-bolt band clamp despite there being a hole in the fan cradle for a bolt (but no hole or bolt in the fan assembly itself) and a plastic fan.

Anyone else with a 1981 model have the same setup like mine?

[​IMG]

Here is what I think mine should look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice hole in the fan cradle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    radioman likes this.
  3. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

my 87 has like what you show in the picts above with the rivet shield
  4. radioman

radioman Premium Member Forum Donor

Mine is 90 & as in the very useful pictures need the rubber strip
  5. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Mine is an 81 also. Setup looks very similar to yours @turbofiat124 . I will double check the fan but I think it is plastic with the metal band. You can see the pic in the garage section to double check.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015