1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Two days to go now and we are starting to pack stuff we need for the trip. We went to our first of this year Classic Car and Steam engine event at a local preservation railway yard yesterday to give Fritz a trial run with all the charity regalia. We were lined up next to 1964 Rolls Royce, which unfortunately for the owner got hardly any attention. Again the cheap, nasty, but quirky Trabbi wins out, and we were kept busy all the day answering questions and taking donations for the trip. So fellow forum members, keep your eyes peeled for some upcoming news and clips of the trip starting Wednesday. And it's not too late to donate!
  2. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Counting down the hours now. Fritz (the car) looks great, all fueled up and polished. Packed all the tools, oil and spares. Just the suitcase and food hamper to put inside in the morning. 9 am tomorrow (British Summer Time) and we hit the road. Don't forget it's not TOO LATE to DO-NATE!
  3. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Okay we have arrived at our first night stop in Newcastle upon Tyne. The journey was 5 hours using side roads trying to keep off the motorways. We even went over a toll bridge in deepest North Yorkshire totally made of wood, even the road surface was planks of wood! Crazy. Fritz behaved well except for the speedometer which is showing really slow speed compared to true speed. Don't know what is going on there but if I have time tomorrow I will investigate. The weather today has been atrocious so I have dived indoors for the night

Youtube video clip here.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Lasse likes this.
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Hi guys. Writing this in our second night stop in Perth, Scotland. The journey through the Cheviot hills was really great. Sunshine and great visibility but freezing temperatures on the high ground. The speedo has stopped working completely and I suspect a broken cable although it was newly fitted a week ago. It maybe a cheap copy and given out early. I have the original with me which was making a noise when working but at least it was showing correct speed. Otherwise Fritz is fine and getting attention when we stop. Tomorrow we arrive at the official start, John O' Groats. A big mileage, 240 roughly for Fritz then. More video clips follow.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Well we duly arrived at John o Groats in Fritz who performed magnificently even tackling 1in 5 inclines up and down through the Cairngorm mountains. Videos to follow later.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  6. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Just donated to your causes, best of luck on the way down.
  7. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

We arrived in John o Groats last night in bad weather and had an early night. This morning we had a geocaching event before setting off south on the official charity trip. We have now arrived safely at Fort William for the night. Video clips follow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=5s&v=XQjX9Soe6kc#

and this one

and this one

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Good luck shame weather is so poor
  9. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

We have arrived in Alloa, Scotland after an easy day's drive. Lots of attention from the public and spent a couple of hours in Alloa High Street talking about the car and showing it to interested parties. Also got a few donations. The car is still behaving well. Video clip to follow.
    IronJaw likes this.
  10. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Well what a great evening we just had at The Old Brewery in Alloa. Three Trabant 601 saloons plus a Wartburg saloon joined Fritz in the car park. A good chinwag about Trabants Wartburgs and 2 strokes ensued. Thanks Colin Jim John and Stuart and partners for supporting us at the event. I did take a video clip of all the cars lined up which somehow got erased but the other guys took stills which I will try to obtain copies soon and post them here.

A triumph of Trabants and a Wartburg at the Alloa event. Thanks for coming guys.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  11. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

We have arrived safely in Newcastle upon Tyne and had a really great trip down through the Scottish Borders and Cheviot hills.The weather was great and so was the car. Last night we hosted another event to raise more money for the charities which was attended by about a dozen people. So now we have completed about 1000 miles, half the trip! Looking forward to the next half and meeting other people and maybe other Trabbis.

12. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Looks like all is going well. I hope the rest of your adventure goes well.

Andy.
  13. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Hi Andy, yes it's going fine so far. We are down your way tomorrow afternoon/evening but you already said you were working I think.
  14. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Successful event last night our home town, Bingham, with lots of friends and another Trabant owner, Simon Clamp, chairman of the IFA club UK. £77 was raised for the charities. And later today we continue on our journey south towards our goal, Land's End. Next stop Worcester.

trabbi2.jpg

trabbi3.jpg
    Pictures of Fritz and Simon Clamp's car.
  15. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Yes sadly i work afternoons/nights. If i don't finish to late, i might try to pop down Thursday morning to see you off.

Andy.
  16. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Another good event last night in Worcester, well attended and raised 60 pounds for the charities. Waiting for us at the venue were 2 interesting vehicles owned by members of the IFA club UK. Thanks to them for attending. The Kubel was of particular interest to me because it was fitted with a Sirokko petrol heater like one that I have acquired for another 601 of mine. Video clip and stills follow.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  17. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Two events to report about. But first I have to say that we did it! Fritz passed the post at Lands End at about 3pm today and then just as we were doing photos and videos, a turquoise 601 saloon with Swiss plates on and the factory roof tent fitted, came on the scene. Complete with Phillip and his family on a road trip of the UK. We both took the cars for photos at the iconic signpost, and then met later in the nearby pub for Trabant chat. A real nice guy.
    The evening before we were in Bridgwater, Somerset for another event when a Trabant Tramp rolled up beside Fritz. Thanks Adam for coming and supporting the charities and for the chat.
    More photos and video to follow.

Landsend1.jpg

At the famous signpost with Philip's 601 saloon and rooftop tent.

Landsend2.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  18. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

I saw the Swiss car on Facebook, was that a coincidental meeting? Lovely looking little thing it was too.

Well Done for making it though!! :D
  19. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Congratulations. Glad that all went well with out any issues. Them factory roof tents look great, but so expensive.

Andy.
  20. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

The Swiss guy, Philip had been clocking our progress through the Facebook site Supporters of the Wartburg Trabant IFA Club UK. and had calculated to be at Lands End the same day and had sent me messages which I didn't see on my phone. But by coincidence he arrived at Lands End just 5 minutes after us. Karma or what!