1. hunterknox

hunterknox Premium Member Forum Donor

Hi all,

I might be moving house soon, maybe to a house without a garage. My options are...
    1. Keep a normal car and keep Trabi garaged 1/2 an hour away or...
    2. Keep Trabi outside all year round.
    Now I do want to look after my Trabi and it's about as well rust proofed as it could be but running two cars is a much greater expense so my question is... which option should I go for?

All thoughts appreciated,

Tom
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Depends on if you're car is a beauty queen and you want to keep it that way. Or if you like to drive it and enjoy it and realize that it will get wear and tear over time and you're comfortable with that. Pretty much everything can be repaired, and worst-comes-to-worst there are lots more Trabants out there. I mean did you sink a bunch of money in a new paint job and such or is it a driver. You'll have to make that decision based on your own conscience.
  3. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

I'm in a similar situation in that I have a two car garage with two daily drivers and four play toys. I can say I hugely regret not buying a house with a garage.mmy wife and I have been looking into buying land around us or moving to a house with a garage.
  4. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]DSC04674 by mati0921, on Flickr
    Over the past two years mine has been in the garage one single night, and thats it. :)
    michiel76 and Wartburg353W like this.
  5. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

My trabi here in the UK has been living outside for the last two years. As my garage contains an Austin A 30 that is a long term project.I use the trabi regularly and keep it polished,and so far it has survived well. My other trabi in Hungary is kepet in a nice big garage and is covered. And is only used a couple of times a year during the summer.
  6. RHFabrications

RHFabrications Loyal Comrade

I'm by no means an expert on Trabants but I've mucked about with and restored or performed bodywork repairs and welding on plenty of old cars, mainly BMC Minis, old A series Citroens, a few fords here and there and now two Trabis. My first Trabi had stood outside by the sea for a decade and I doubt my current one has been washed, polished or cared for at all for just as long and neither are even close to being as bad as anything else I've worked on. I reckon if ever there was an older car that you could leave outside with relative confidence then it'd be a Trabi. Regular washing polishing and cavity wax application should see one last almost indefinitely. (Maybe)
  7. Wartburg353W

I think a weak spot to consider if you're leaving it outside is the windshield gasket. They dry up and shrink and whatever and let water in around the windshield. That's bad for the firewall and floorboard. The side windows let water inside the door so your inner door panels may eventually curl up from moisture.
  8. Keri

Keri Leader

9. hunterknox

hunterknox Premium Member Forum Donor

Looks like it's a majority in favour of outside, thanks guys! My aim for the car has always been to leave it better than I found it but it doesn't sound like that'll be too problematic. Good point about the windscreen seal, Wartburg. I think mine's fine at the moment but we'll see. If I manage to save some money I might look into a welding course.

Actually there's another slight concern I had - do any of the UK folks have experience of insuring a classis as an only car? Is it do-able? Prohibitively costly?
  10. RHFabrications

RHFabrications Loyal Comrade

I have insured 'classics' as only cars sand there are pros and cons. For example, they are much, much cheaper. With a 'normal' insurer my 2cv is around £300pa, with a classic insurer such as Peter James, Footman James etc it is usually £100. The problem with classic insurance is that you don't build a no-claims discount, they don't seem to recognise such schemes and as such when you move to a normal car it can bump it up a vast amount
  11. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

Plus they often have limited mileage. My policy let's me do 5000 miles a year, and is fully cop with brake down cover and costs me £250 a year. That is trough Adrianflux.
  12. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Here in denmark you havee to have a no. 1 car, and be over 25 years old, and only drive 5000 km a year, and only in summertime, but its almost free (something like £30) But since i cant even qualify for one of those i have to insure it as a normal car. thats about £600 a year because i am still relatively new in traffic and therefor MUST crash into something at some point... :D
    Keri likes this.
  13. Wartburg353W

Yeah classic car insurance is really intended for people who want full coverage on their vehicle, not just liability. That being the case, they tend to insist you keep the car in a garage.
  14. Wartburg353W

Oh, and if you still have the original upholstery, put covers on. It will fade being outside a lot.
  15. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

auto.jpg And buy a sort of "car pyjama" so Trabant is protected from rain (so can not leak inside).
    And wind is flow trough it so it will stay dry and also protected from sun.
  16. Wartburg353W

Interesting subject. In my experience car covers do more harm than good. They're never 100 percent waterproof and once the humidity gets under there it lingers longer than if it weren't covered. Also they will eventually wear down the top surfaces of the car. Just my own opinion.
    Keri likes this.
  17. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Maybe you are right,but Trabant windshields leak often so that's why I think about this solution.
    To keep Trabi dry inside.