1. paulymx

paulymx Leader

[​IMG]
    Here's a photo of a late model IFA F8. These late models were closely modelled on the more modern IFA F9 and the EMW 320 sportster built at Eisenach. Shortly afterwards the East German government cancelled all IFA and EMW models in favour of a new car, the Wartburg 311 built at the Eisenach Motorwerkes (formerly BMW).
    trabant601 likes this.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

My friend Rudy ( who was born in the DDR) said that the Trabant engines were copied off DKW engine tooling. Since this was the last vehicle built at the Auto Union plant until WW2, I was wondering if this car's engine was the same as the Trabant but it looks nothing like a Trabant engine. In fact it's water cooled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKW_F8

[​IMG]
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I drove an F9 around the block as a potential buyer in 1990. It was a very rough barn find near Erfurt. I have no regrets for not buying it.
  4. paulymx

paulymx Leader

My friend Rudy ( who was born in the DDR) said that the Trabant engines were copied off DKW engine tooling. Since this was the last vehicle built at the Auto Union plant until WW2, I was wondering if this car's engine was the same as the Trabant but it looks nothing like a Trabant engine. In fact it's water cooled.

Hi Turbofiat.
    The Trabant engine isn't really descended from DKW's water-cooled car engines but from the air-cooled two-stroke engines DKW built for Framo. Framo was a subsidiary company of DKW that built light commercials in 20s and 30s. After DKW joined with Horch, Wanderer and Audi to become Auto Union, DKW's chairman, Jorge Rasmussen, found himself summarily dismissed, so he moved to Framo and attempted to develop his own line of budget cars. Framo released two very cheap budget cars, a three wheeler called the Stromeliner, and a four wheeler called the Piccolo. Framo didn't manufacture their own engines but continued to source DKW engines. DKW adapted a single and a twin cylinder air-cooled motorcycle engine for use in Framo's cars, which were so light four people could carry them. Framo also used larger twin cylinder air-cooled engines in their trucks too (along with water cooled engines).
    [​IMG]
    Shortly after the war Framo started building trucks again using both air and water cooled engines built at the old Auto Union plant in Chemnitz. When Sachsenring were tasked to build the Trabant they used an adapted 500cc air-cooled Framo engine. Framo by that stage were using the water cooled engine exclusively.

Here 's a little history of Framo and their cars and trucks.

http://heinkelscooter.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/framo.html
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    trabant601 likes this.
  5. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

'My friend Rudy ( who was born in the DDR) said that the Trabant engines were copied off DKW engine tooling. Since this was the last vehicle built at the Auto Union plant until WW2, I was wondering if this car's engine was the same as the Trabant but it looks nothing like a Trabant engine. In fact it's water cooled.'
    that engine actually does look like a trabant engine. only its from the p70. not the 601 that we are all used to. there is one in a museum in Nashville and every time I go there I just have to stop and admire it. it is a 2 cyl
    water cooled engine in a 1958 p70.
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is great stuff. Was the DKW water cooled like the one used in the P-70?
  7. turbofiat124

trabant601 likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I meant to reach out to them to see if they want to buy my Kreidler...Thank you for reminding me
  9. turbofiat124

Which one of these Barkas vans was used by the Stasi to pick up "enemies of the state" in the middle of the night?

[​IMG]
  10. turbofiat124

You have a Krediler? (Moped)?

[​IMG]
  11. Justin

@turbofiat124 I have the oldest known Kriedler in the US and the ONLY K50 :cool:
  12. turbofiat124

OK, found it in the "garage" section. I found a Jawa locally on Craigslist:

http://tricities.craigslist.org/mcy/4598324908.html

[​IMG]

That was what I was looking for at the time. I wish I had bought it instead of this POS Kinetic TFR based off a Piaggo Ciao that I can't find parts for because they switched their tooling from making mopeds to car parts for the Indian car market about 10 years ago.

I can't get my starter clutch to engage on my Kinetic! Well it somewhat engages but slips to the point I can't get enough spin to start the engine. AARRGGHH!!!

Do you know anything about centrifical clutches on mopeds?
  13. Justin

Nice! Well this Kriedler, parts do exist, but they are very hard to locate...Anyway, I'm selling it if anyone wants it.
  14. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

15. paulymx

paulymx Leader

Yes, the P70 engine was the same as the DKW F8. In fact the P70 can be seen as a modernised, rebodied F8. It was a stop gap design that utilised the F8 chassis, engine and running gear onto which was mounted a new pontoon body made of Duraplast panels attached to a wood frame. Late model IFA F8s ( the post-war East German version of the DKW F8 ) were built in the same way. Despite its similarities in appearance, the P70 and Trabant are very different cars.
    Justin and trabant601 like this.
  16. Justin

Glad to see you @paulymx, it's been a while
  17. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

It's interesting to note that the wikepidea article turbofiat124 referenced that duroplast use began in 1953, to think it continued until 1990!
    Also, in the photo of the brown car, what is the function of the rod that appears to go through the fuel tank ? It look like that it may have a linkage near the radiator. Gear selector maybe?
  18. paulymx

paulymx Leader

Has been a while Justin! Been very busy lately.
    VADOC, you are correct. The rod going through the petrol tank is the gear selector rod. The gear lever is fixed in the centre of the dashboard, runs through the petrol tank and over the engine and anchors to the radiator shroud. The curved rod descending from the main rod activates the gears. It's a really, really simple mechanism. If you ever get the chance to see an old DKW in action, check it out.
    Justin and trabant601 like this.